Last ditch treatment ideas?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

eco23

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hi everyone,

I had another thread you may have seen regarding Neon Tetras with odd behavior gasping heavily while still acting normally and schooling with the others. At the time there were no other symptoms other than the heavy breathing.

I initially moved 3 of my 9 into QT for observation treating only with aquarium salt. After a few days the remaining Neons in my DT began the same odd breathing patterns and were all moved into QT where I started a regiment of Macaryn because one of the fish showed signs of pop-eye.

In the last 24 hours 2 of the 9 have died, and an ice bath is currently being prepared in my freezer for a third who is stuck to the filter intake.

Other than the 3 who have met their end, 5 of the remaining six have also developed the gasping and I feel it is only a matter of time before there are 0 remaining.

I suspect NTD since there seem to be so many random symptoms associated with that disease, yet I'm not 100% sure of the diagnosis.

I'm willing to try a hail-mary pass since it seems there is virtually no hope for the remaining Tetras. Unfortunately, I'm also considering euthanizing the others as soon as their symptoms get worse instead of waiting for them to die against the filter intake like the others.

Other than Macaryn and aquarium salt, do you have any recommendations of other treatments?

BTW, parameters are 0-ammo, 0-no2, 5-no3, pH-7.4, temp-75 degrees

Doesn't sound like NTD to me, sounds like typical symptoms of overbred fish...resulting in poor stock. They are certain fish I've given up on keeping due to the stock being presented any longer and neons are one of them.

HUKIT said:
Doesn't sound like NTD to me, sounds like typical symptoms of overbred fish...resulting in poor stock.

Thing is, I've had them for over 3 months, and they all developed the odd breathing within a couple days of each other...I'd have to think it's something being transmitted only amongst the Neons since the other species in the DT are all perfectly healthy.

On a semi-related note...any ideas how to sterilize ceramic media once the QT is taken down? I used bio-max from my canister in a mesh bag to cycle the QT, and I'd like to return it once the hospital tank is torn down. Perhaps boiling it?

Last edited:
I would use a mild bleach solution for cleaning then leave them soak in clean water with the addition of Prime at 4x normal rate.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom