Last Lighting Question....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
G

Hey all. I want my first S/W tank up and running by next week and I need to purchase lighting. It is a 29 gal. that I want to be a reef tank. Thank you all for your previous help.

I am looking at this fixtureThis one 30"

This should give me about 4.4 wpg, or 130 watts I think. Will this be enough to grow most corals when I am ready?

Any advice on this fixture, is it good enough?

EDIT: Dr Fosters does not have the Fiji Premium in stolk. Has anyone ever ordered from Saltwater.com? They have it, 45lbs for $209 so I was going to order it there?

Thanks

Depends really. Do you want to keep alot of SPS corals or clams? If so, then I'd got with that light. But you can keep soft corals, zoos, and LPS fine under the CF lighting. Up to you. :)

About the LR. Have you priced Tambabaysaltwater.com? I have heard LOTS of good stuff about their LR.

Lighting

Thanks Dev, I will check out them for the live rock. The "coral" rock they have looks great. It is about $6 lb. The problem seems to be the shipping compared to other places.

As far as the light, how many corals can I really fit in my 29? I just dont want to waste money, however I can afford the MH. I am so confused on what is better because there seems to be good points to MH and PC

I understand. Again, it depends on what you want to get. LPS generally have long sweeper tentacles so 5-6 inches of space is needed around them. If I had to take a (very rough) guess, I'd say about 10 different pieces.

Lighting isn't my strong point, but CF will suffice for most all corals. Its only when getting into the high light corals that MH is needed.

I got what you are saying, thanks for the help. I am driving myself crazy. If I go the PC a bigger light isn't much more. Than I get thinking that I could afford to buy a 30 gal, and stand, keep my 29 fresh, and all the equip. is good to go. The 36" Coralife for the 30 gives me 192 watts.

I will know by tomorrow because I will be buying a new tank tomorrow.

If I shell out extra and go with the 30, I will have over 6 wpg with the 36" Coralife. I think this is the way I am going to go. It may only be 1 more gallon, but it is 6" longer.

Interesting! I didn't know that about the size difference, and at first I thought you were going to try and put a longer light over the tank. Duh.

Have fun buying tank and light. :)

Got the tank!

Well I just got home and I went with the 30 gal. All glass with a nice black Pine double door stand. It was suppose to be $220, but the manager gave it to me for $163 so I was happy. Now I have a 6" longer tank and I can keep my planted freshie.

Last night I ordered the 192 watt 36" Coralife PC. I hope that over 6 watts per gal. of PC light will be good for most corals when I am ready.

As soon as it comes in from Dr. Fosters all I have left to buy is the LR and I am ready to go! Today I am going to paint the back of the tank black.

I really like the feeling that I get from the tbsaltwater.com LR. I think I will order from them and pick it up at the airport. Their rock looks very very nice.

I can't wait til it is time to ask about adding livestolk!!

Thanks

WOW...I cant believe how good that LR looks and it is not even the coral rock!!! I am going to order here. The shipping through air freight is not as bad as I thought.

Back
Top Bottom