lawnmower blenny not eating

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dwint

Aquarium Advice Freak
are fish like dogs,as far as they will eat eventually?i bought a lawnmower blenny six days ago and he hasn't ate yet.i had one before and they ate like crazy

What are you offering? How big is the tank and what other fish do you have?

algae pellets flake food and Mysis shrimp.its a 75 gallon with a bangai cardinal,hawk fish ,two clowns,shrimp,foxfaceand a flammin angle.the angle was bothering it when introduced but it hides a lot.

The blenny is probably stressed due to the flame angel. If you added the angel before the blenny, then I am almost certain that this is due to the angel.

my other blenny died that's why it got replaced

I would remove the angel for two weeks then before reintroducing him, rearrange the decor

I vote to rearrange the decor also.... It made such a difference with my starry blenny and clowns

Took a few weeks but hes doing ok now

Good luck :)

if you had a blenny beforehand and it died, id lean more towards eating habits as the culprit. some blennies and dragonets are fairly hard to get to adjust to tank life. they dont always take to prep. foods and even when they do, they can possibly go back and forth. (im currently fighting hard to bulk-up my mandarin from near death starvation) keep a close eye on his belly and make sure his belly is bulging a lil bit. if you notice a sunken belly and it progressively gets worse, you need to find a beter source of food for him. (pods. algae)

I bought another because I've had two in the past and they ate everything.algae pellets,flake and Mysis shrimp.i think they are one of the weirest fish to have and everyone that comes over notices how ugly they are.the flammin angle isn't bothering him any more and it watches the other fish eat so I hope it eats soon.

have you tried target feeding?
i would just try to be 100% sure that these blennies are eating. its nothing

just mix up a bit of food, and use a turkey baster or syringe to squirt the food right to the blenny. this may help to insure that the fish gets food. if theres a fish competing for the same food, he may not be quick enough to eat. even when i target feed, i watch my purple tang and sleeper goby literally bump into my mandarin when they grab the food.

Back
Top Bottom