leaking 29 gallon tank?????

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

uglygoat

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
i just bought a 29 gallon tank saturday... cleaned it up, put the gravel in there, and began filling it... the water was too cold, and condensation formed up on the sides. i think it all drained down into the frame on the bottom, as water started leaking out. at the time sat night i wasn't sure if it was the condensation... so i stopped filling it, emptied it took all the stones out, then filled it a bit with water...

no leaks....

so sunday morning i begin again... get it about a quarter full, and water starts pushing out the frame on the bottom again... but alot of water... empty the tank, remove the stones turn it upside down and lotsa water starts draining out, but nothing on the inside...

my question is, how much water could have collected in there from the condensation???? i am not convinced the tank is leaking from the inside, but what got pushed out was alot more than i suspected could have accumulated from the condensation. is it possible that the inside seal is leaking, but only after a certian amount of water pressure is built up?

should i seal the outside lip where the glass and frame meet, or just take the heap of a tank back for another???

If this tank is brand new I would stop fooling with it and return it for a replacement. What you are describing should no be happening.

I am with Rich, you say it is new, take it back for a replacement. In the future it is always good to fill a tank completely with just water and no gravel or anything else in the tank. Outside is the best option for this in case you do have a leak.

Return it if you can, should not be an issue to get that replaced.

i took the tank back, but didn't exchange it. walmart is prolly not the best place to buy tanks from, lord knows how they are treated in teh stock room.

so we went with plan b...

i found my old ten gallon tank in my folks house. i've had this baby for years. filled it up with water last night, no leaks. starting the cycle this weekend.

plans are:

one spotted raphael catfish
one other smallish catfish

You don't want to take the $$ you got back from wallyworld and get another 29gal? That would give you more room to play with and a lot more flexibility on what you can do, since you were already planning on setting up a 29gal, I assume that means you had space selected for it already.

yes, but for this particular moment in time, i'm just going with what is available. i have a lead on a 55 gallon tank.

Back
Top Bottom