Leave fish in FS bag overnight?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pairustwo

Aquarium Advice Regular
I bought a Pit Bull Pleco to put in my tank at work but didn't get back to work in time to put him in tonight.

Can I leave him in the bag and float it in my tank at home and take him in the morning?

Is there enough Oxygen?
Is the plastic going to become toxic to him?

Thanks.

Pairustwo

I would definitely want to get some air in the water. Do you have an air pump at home? I'd at least put him in a container with an airstone. I know fish get shipped for longer than overnight and survive, but I get paranoid when I just have a few hours to drive home from the fish store... Also, what temp does your house get down to at night?

I also wouldn't leave him in the bag overnight. A clean rubbermaid container with an airstone would work. If you had a spare heater you could add it to the container just to be safe.

what temp does your house get down to at night?
I am floating the bag in one of my tanks at home so the temp will be around 79f.

If I put him in spare container then he will definitely get to cold as I don't have an extra heater.

I am going to open the bag and pinch it between the tank and the lid. I'll open it every once in a while to add tank water. That should keep the oxygen up and dilute the ammonia he produces.

What do you think?

I would also take some of the water out of his bag periodically and add fresh water from the tank to keep the ammonia down.

For future reference, fish packed lightly (one or two fish ber bag) and properly into a good-sized fish bag, if the LFS uses pure oxygen or even a 'bag buddy', should be fine for a good 24 hours, if not more. I have had fish (using either method) do very well after even 36 hours, when packed 1-2 1"-1½" fish in a medium fish bag.

Also of not...keeping the fish dark tends to slow their metabolic processes, which can add hours to their lifespan in a bag.

Back
Top Bottom