Leaving fish alone for two weeks.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bigtard

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have to be away from my house for two weeks. There is no one who can take care of my fish while I am gone. What should I do to make sure my fish are alive when I return?

I have an unplanted 29 gallon tank with 2 small angelfish, 4 keyhole cichlids, 2 bolivian rams, 1 otocinclus, and 1 small rubber lipped plecostomus.

I normally change 10 gallons of water per week. Just before changing the water, the nitrate level is usually a little under 20 ppm. The water comes out of the tap around 5 ppm, so the rise due to the fish is about 15 ppm.

Any suggestions?

Automatic feeder, and feed very lightly, as that will help keep the parameters somewhat in check. Would be best if there was someone who could do 1 PWC while you are gone, but if you can find an automatic feeder that you can put in 2 weeks supply, and have it feed lightly, would be your best bet. And don't use the disolvable type, as they mess with the parameters.

You will probably be ok then. I use an Emperor 280 bio-wheel on my 26G. If I decide to go on vacation, will get an auto-feeder before I go, and might be able to talk the neighbors into doing a PWC about half-way through the vacation. But if not, I'd make for sure the feedings were very light.

I think you can leave it for 2 weeks without a problem. Leave the lights off and possibley lower the temp a few degrees. When you get back the fish should be very hungry but still alive. Having nonfish types look after it while your gone is a crapshoot.

usually id say a week is safe to go without feeding, but im not sure i'd leave it for 2 weeks. You could always put a big hunk of cucumber or zucchini in there for your oto and pleco and i guarentee that will be gone by the time you get back, but is there someone who can go feed them even just ONE day while your away? Like right ni the middle of the two weeks just to feed once?

I'm sort of in the same boat. I'm trying to think of someone I could ask to feed them around the midpoint, but barring that I'm planning on introducing a whole mess of baby snails for my dwarf puffer to snack on in his tank, and then dumping some blackworms and cucumber in with the community folk. I'm considering the auto-feeder approach for that tank, too, though I'd rather not use one if I can get around it.

BillD said:
I think you can leave it for 2 weeks without a problem. Leave the lights off and possibley lower the temp a few degrees.

Would it be better to put the lights on a timer?

Snuffleupagus said:
...and then dumping some blackworms and cucumber in with the community folk. I'm considering the auto-feeder approach for that tank, too, though I'd rather not use one if I can get around it.

I put a small chunk of cucumber in there once every few days for the otocinclus and the plecostomus. The other fish nibble at it a bit.

I'm worried that it would foul the water over two weeks, though. I've never left cucumber in my tank for longer than a day.

I've left cucumber and zucchini in there for up to 5 days without a problem. yes it eventually begins to rot if it is not eating, but it is like vegetable matter and they LOVE the rotting vegetable matter. If you put a moderate size piece in there... Not too big, it should be gone in about 3 days.

If you could get someone to come and feed the fish at least once every two days with a specific amount of food (put some food into a bunch of small containers) so they don't overfeed. If not, you can try the autofeeder, just make sure you have it on a setting where it won't release too much or way too little food. Do a water change before you leave and one when you get back. HTH

Some of the auto feeders you can leave the bays empty, so you can have it only feed every 3 or 4 days. If you go the route of the auto-feeder, remember, feed lightly. It's better that the fish get a little food and be hungry, than to feed normally and not do PWC's. The smaller amount of food would mean less poo, which will help the water parameters while you are gone.

I haven't, and probably wouldn't, as you can't set how often to feed or how much. It just feeds a particular amount twice daily. Not good if you aren't around for an extended period like a 2 week vacation.

The ad says "just set how much you want to feed and it will automatically dispense either flakes or pellets every 12 hours."

Is that a mistake in their ad?

Not a mistake, no. I didn't see that part. But if gone for a long period, I wouldn't want something feeding the fish twice daily. Just my opinion though. The more you feed, the faster the bad stuff will build up in the auarium.

Back
Top Bottom