Leaving the light on

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

freak45

Aquarium Advice Regular
So I'm heading off for a 3 day vacation I got some weekend feeders for my fish..my question is should I just leave my light on or off its a new h5 lighting and I really don't wanna ruin the risk of burning down the apartment complex..so is it cool if I leave the light off for my fish and would the weekend feeder feed my 3 corries or should I put in sinking wafers before I leave

Not sure what a weekend feeder is, but if it's one of those feeding things that feed the fish in a gaze form, then that should be good. If not, I suggest using that.
Also, keeping the lights off is fine, but keeping them on could cause a slight growth of algae that you won't see, but that might grow bigger without you realizing.

If you're only leaving for three days you can probably just skip the weekend feeders. Just feed as normal before you go and feed as normal when you get back. Leaving the lights off during this time would be fine too, or you also maybe invest in an automatic timer (under ten dollars if you look hard enough).

Leave the lights off, feed as normal and do a water change the day before you leave. 3 days is nothing. This summer, I'm going to Alaska for two weeks. Lights will be off and they will be going on a diet.

Yea I didn't know if I should have posted this in planted..but yes I do have some plants there swords...and yea I thought about getting a timer or an automatic feeder before I leave and plan on doing a water change before I leave

Yea I didn't know if I should have posted this in planted..but yes I do have some plants there swords...and yea I thought about getting a timer or an automatic feeder before I leave and plan on doing a water change before I leave
Well, there are those patches to feed the fish. If you're getting the mechanical one, they go well over 50$ where I live.

That plants will be fine without light for three days. Just do a water change a feed them before you leave, those automatic feeders are 100+$ and if your just leaving for three days not worth the investment IMO. A timer however would be a good idea.

The vacation feeders have killed off more tanks than I can list. Skip them !! They pollute the water and crash your tank.

I have cheap $8 timers on my lights. 6-8 hours a day is fine. I don't feed when I leave. I've had auto feeders returned for dumping too much food and killing fish also.

3 days without lights won't kill plants.

Ok cool just was worried ill just water change and feed when I leave thx guys

You can get a timer for the lights and set it to turn on and off while your gone

Back
Top Bottom