led lighting help!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

issihavok

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
i was wondering if anybody could tell me of some good affordable led lights for a 40 gallon breeder capable of sustaining some sps corals.

My LFS recently got aquaufo 90watt LED's. They have a couple fixtures setup on their frag tanks. Which hold lps, sps, shrooms, and softies. All seem to be doing well. I can only find 1 or 2 reviews on them though, so I'm hesitant. The price tags not bad at $300ish per fixture.

I haven't seen anything affordable that's any good yet. two 400 dollar fixtures are what you are going to have to buy.
i haven't seen folks saving tons of money building fixtures either. not if you use the right components. you might save a hundred bucks on a roughly 800 dollar purchase. you are going to want something with 3 watt LEDs and also something that's dimmable. then you eventually want to be able to sell it when you are done with it. imO

mr_X said:
I haven't seen anything affordable that's any good yet. two 400 dollar fixtures are what you are going to have to buy.
i haven't seen folks saving tons of money building fixtures either. not if you use the right components. you might save a hundred bucks on a roughly 800 dollar purchase. you are going to want something with 3 watt LEDs and also something that's dimmable. then you eventually want to be able to sell it when you are done with it. imO

Thanks. I'm leaning back towards the 6 bulb t5 HO fixture my LFS has. Independant blue and white control, 1 cord lol, and I know its a good lighting system. I've also read that when comparing LED's to t5's, the savings on your electricity bill isn't all that noticable.

well, lumens per watt is greater with LED than it is with metal halide or T5, so i would say you can achieve more with less wattage.

Touché sir. Well my LFS has the ecoray 112's and aquaufo. They use 1 and 2 watt LED's respectively, so looks like I'll pass. I just don't want to get burned for $600-1200 as lighting and LED's imparticular are not my strong suit, to put in nicely lol.

Back
Top Bottom