LED lights in an aquarium?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I wouldn't say harmful, but I have seen some people put some different colored blinking LEDs in their tanks and the fish looked very stressed which makes them more vulnerable the disease. Their are a lot of LED fixtures on the market made specifically for saltwater and freshwater aquariums.
I have on a timer a cheap little LED light strip that turns on in the morning before my main lights and after the main lights go off. Even though the LED strip isn't intensely bright, it does bring out some interesting colors from my tank, fish, and the coolest part is I get a nice shimmer effect kinda like you would see using metal halides.

I would say LEDs are no worse than any other artificial light. Loads of setups have LEDs and loads of fresh and saltwater keepers use LEDs so I'm guessing they don't cause mass deaths.

IN the aquarium? As in submerged? That could be harmful I suppose...

I light my high tech planted tank with LEDs and my reef tank with LEDs. If you have the proper lights, they are not harmful, but rather are very beneficial. There are huge power savings and replacement cost savings with LEDs over conventional lighting solutions.

Back
Top Bottom