LED strip lighting question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

octanejunkie

Aquarium Advice Freak
Has anyone here worked with FertiLight™ LED Grow Light strips?

I found this waterproof LED strip light online and was wondering how this in conjunction with some 5000° K white would work for aquatic plants?

I might try this inside the hood of my daughter's 360° round tank as the LED that comes with it is junk and has burned out once so far due to corrosion :nono:

Online Specs
Input Voltage: 12V DC
Energy Consumption per foot: 2.9W / 242mA
Colors: red, blue
Color Temperature: 626 nanometers (red), 470nm (blue)
Lumens per ft.: 60

Length: 12 in.
Weight: 1 oz.
Width: 0.4 in.
Depth: 0.2 in.

LED chips per foot: 36
LED Spacing: 0.3 in. (between centers)
Light Beam Angle: 120°
Connector Type: waterproof plug

IP rating: IP65 (outdoor/wet location)
Fixture Surface Temp.: 68° - 104° F
UV/IR Radiation: None
Lifespan: 50,000 hours

Here is a link to the PDF of the LED Grow Light strip spec sheet. Spectral distribution charts from their webpage below:

Attachments

• fertilight-led-grow-light-spectrum-analysis-1.jpg
    fertilight-led-grow-light-spectrum-analysis-1.jpg
    130.5 KB · Views: 219
  • fertilight-led-grow-light-spectrum-1.jpg
    fertilight-led-grow-light-spectrum-1.jpg
    92.3 KB · Views: 751
This is a pretty interesting strip light option. I hope someone who knows would let you know. I do know though, that most white LEDs are blue chips with a yellow phosphor dye so spectrum-wise, they are inherently very blue in the spectrum. Getting red diodes would help plants grow better, not to mention help make anything with reds (i.e. fish, shrimp, or plants) have more "pop" in their color versus looking somewhat washed out under just "white" daylight LEDs. I'm doing something similar in my 12g Nano Cube that I just retro-fitted with 2x Current Truelumen Pro 12" LED bars. I added two strips of RGB LED lights in which I set them to red/orange as supplemental lighting. I have noticed an improvement in overall color, whether it be due to reflection (in flora and fauna) or actual pigment developing in my stem plants from the presence of red spectrum (with ferts and co2 considered).

Will I took the plunge and ordered a 1' strip of the FertiLight™ LED Grow Light as well as the "flexible LED light starter pack" of strip lights to install inside the hood of our round/tall tank.

I'll post a DIY thread on the project when I receive the lights sometime next week.

Cool.. I hope the output is good enough. Since I'm no expert, I find it somewhat difficult to gauge output without published PAR data. Lumens would be my second choice for trying to figure it out. Followed by watts per foot...lol

I'm useless! Haha...looking forward to your project :)

Back
Top Bottom