left heater on whilst doing water change

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kira696

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I just realized that yesterday when i was doing my water change i forgot to un plug my heater..at least i think, I took it out today to check for cracks and can't see any, its a juwel 100 watt submersible with that 'water must stay at this level!!' thing, I have bad anxiety so just looking for some advice, should i throw it out and buy a new one? Or will it be ok if its not cracked, its still out my tank atm and I have live plants so worried they may die without a heater for the night :( The heater does rattle a bit when i turn it one way or another, but it may have already done that before.

Edit: Decided to put it back in, I turned it up to see if it was still working and it is. Still very worried though, I heard if they break they can catch on fire!

I just realized that yesterday when i was doing my water change i forgot to un plug my heater..at least i think, I took it out today to check for cracks and can't see any, its a juwel 100 watt submersible with that 'water must stay at this level!!' thing, I have bad anxiety so just looking for some advice, should i throw it out and buy a new one? Or will it be ok if its not cracked, its still out my tank atm and I have live plants so worried they may die without a heater for the night :( The heater does rattle a bit when i turn it one way or another, but it may have already done that before.

Edit: Decided to put it back in, I turned it up to see if it was still working and it is. Still very worried though, I heard if they break they can catch on fire!

You should be fine if it has no cracks I was the same way when I got my first water must stay at this level heater about two months ago :)

OMG just found out that you need to keep the head out of water!! The guy at LFS said its fully submersible...I am out raged. I have now just taken the head out so slightly but fear its just gonna fall down. Ordering new heater asap. What a waste of £30

OMG just found out that you need to keep the head out of water!! The guy at LFS said its fully submersible...I am out raged. I have now just taken the head out so slightly but fear its just gonna fall down. Ordering new heater asap. What a waste of £30

I read the product manual on the link you provided and I did not see anywhere that it could not be fully submerged. There is a warning about operating it deeper than 80 cm.
Ran into a similar situation with a Fluval M Series heater. Printed on the heater is a wavy "maximum water level line". However, according to the manufacturer, the product can be fully submerged.

I read the product manual on the link you provided and I did not see anywhere that it could not be fully submerged. There is a warning about operating it deeper than 80 cm.
Ran into a similar situation with a Fluval M Series heater. Printed on the heater is a wavy "maximum water level line". However, according to the manufacturer, the product can be fully submerged.

It does say, I've attached a image :L

Attachments

• JUWEL HEATER.jpg
    JUWEL HEATER.jpg
    58.1 KB · Views: 93
  • JUWEL HEATER2.jpg
    JUWEL HEATER2.jpg
    62.3 KB · Views: 83
Up until the past few week I've always forgot to unplug my heaters. (I've only been in the hobby three months) both my heaters are fine. Not risking it any more but if it's a new heater you should be ok if you forget once or twice.

If it breaks and catches fire in a tank full of water I'm sure you will have nothing to worry about, and as long as it has no cracking or blackening inside, or water at the bottom inside it's fine, it's reasons like this I use fully metal insulated ones lol

Thanks for all your replies guys, I have recently purchased a fluval E 50 Watt as think my 100watt was to powerful for my tank anyways, plus the fluval is submersible! So thats great.

Back
Top Bottom