Lethargic Betta - Urgent

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

taylorodw

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I came home today and looked into my betta's 10g rubbermaid tub (filtered w/ Aqueon 10gal filter, Stealth 8gal heater) he is in while I set up a new tank. He was sort of wedged inbetween the heater and the side of the tub.

I jostled the tub a bit to see if he was even alive, and he swam out, but then sank listlessly to the bottom. He would alternately swim, and drift down to the bottom again. He was also listing onto his side.

He has some dark spots on his pectoral fins that were not there before, but it does not appear that the fins are rotting away.

Tested water parameters -
pH 7.6
Ammonia 0ppm
Nitrite ~0.25ppm (why? tub has been running for long enough, plus pulled gravel from established tank)
Nitrate 20ppm

Please help! This guy is the first fish I've ever had.

It seems like the tank is going through another cycle since you're seeing nitrites. The presence of nitrates at 20 ppm does indicate that the tub has completed a cycle but now for whatever reason it's going through a mini-cycle.

How long has this tub been set up? The addition of gravel from another tank always helps to start your cycle but you can see another small cycle as the bacteria from the gravel catches up with the bioload that you have. In most cases the addition of media from an established tank will allow the new tank to cycle instantly but that's not a guarantee and it's always wise to check parameters. Is the betta the only one in the tub? I would do water changes to get the nitrite down. Nitrite is harmful even at low levels. Hopefully lots of clean water will help the betta recover. Don't forget the dechlorinator - I like Prime.

For the new tank, you may want to get a squeezing of filter media to help start that cycle, and be sure to monitor the water parameters so you know for sure when the cycle is complete.

Is the temperature staying stable? Bettas like the water temperature to be 80-82 degrees. Fluctuating water temperatures are a big factor in betta illnesses, but usually finrot would occur from too cool a temperature.

It seems like the tank is going through another cycle since you're seeing nitrites. The presence of nitrates at 20 ppm does indicate that the tub has completed a cycle but now for whatever reason it's going through a mini-cycle.

How long has this tub been set up? The addition of gravel from another tank always helps to start your cycle but you can see another small cycle as the bacteria from the gravel catches up with the bioload that you have. In most cases the addition of media from an established tank will allow the new tank to cycle instantly but that's not a guarantee and it's always wise to check parameters. Is the betta the only one in the tub? I would do water changes to get the nitrite down. Nitrite is harmful even at low levels. Hopefully lots of clean water will help the betta recover. Don't forget the dechlorinator - I like Prime.

For the new tank, you may want to get a squeezing of filter media to help start that cycle, and be sure to monitor the water parameters so you know for sure when the cycle is complete.

Is the temperature staying stable? Bettas like the water temperature to be 80-82 degrees. Fluctuating water temperatures are a big factor in betta illnesses, but usually finrot would occur from too cool a temperature.

Temp had been low, his thermometer said 76 so I bumped it up a few degrees. Don't know what it will stabilize to yet, but I'll adjust it until it's 80-82.

He has been in his tub for 1 month now, approximately. Maybe 1.5 months. It's just him.

He appears to be much more lively this morning, not sure why as his water temp was the same last night.

How long have you had this betta?

About 4 months.

Raise the water temperature gradually so you don't stress him further. One degree every 12 hours is a good, gradual increment. I know it's hard to try to turn those heater dials only one degree but just try to raise the temperature gradually. Is there a cover over the tub? That would help to keep some heat in. Maybe place a cover on at a bit of an angle so the water is not totally isolated from the air. My tanks are covered but the plastic strip in back has numerous openings where the cords exit the tank. These openings allow some air to flow in.

I was keeping the top on, but I don't think he could see properly - lots of food was going uneaten, so I started leaving the top off and now all the food gets eaten. However, that could be contributing to the low heat problem. I guess I'll just put the cover on at night.

He's still kickin, when I came home from work he was laying on bottom (but not on his side), but he perked up when he saw me and has been swimming around.

That sounds like a good idea - keeping the cover on at night. That's probably when the house temperature drops a bit.

Bettas do rest on the bottom of the tank. As long as he was on the bottom in an upright position and not on his side, he is ok.

Watch out for uneaten food too, that could be the cause of your mini cycle if food was left uneaten in there. :)
I hope your betta recovers. :) It sounds like he is on the mend. :)

Back
Top Bottom