lethargic betta

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Blucat

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Got home just then, female betta sort of floating at the top of my tank. So i removed her and put her in a glass jug. she can't swim, she just rests at the bottom or just floats at the top. she took a few bites of flake, and took a bit of interest in the male betta.

24g tank
two dwarf gouramis
water parametres pending until 15 mins.
please help :(

i think it could be swim bladder disease caused by constipation/overfeeding, but i KNOW i don't overfeed. i noticed she wasn't eating this morning. her belly looks fat. i also noticed that i had lots of tiny snails on the glass this morning, more than usual, and now they are all gone. i suspect she has been eating too much snails.

i will try the peas to reduce constipation.

ammonia:0
Nitrate: 12.5mg

Peas are the first thing I'd try. If she eats some pea pieces, don't feed anything for a day or two. If she still appears to have swimbladder symptoms, like floating strangely, try an antibiotic.

Also, do you feed lots of dry food? I soak my Hikari pellets in a cup of tankwater for 2 1/2 minutes before feeding. Sometimes dry food can swell in the stomach and cause bloating.

i feed her flake, and she eats snails. i hold the flake in my finger, submerge it underwater until she comes up to it, and then she takes it from my hand. i really think that it is just too many snails. i think i will now make pea feeding a weekly routine for all fish

I've read that feeding daphnia occasionally can help prevent constipation too.

I hope she's feeling better soon. One of my bettas recently had constipation, and he seemed so miserable, I was so worried about him. But now he is acting like his old frisky self.

she won't take the peas, she is not interested in food anymore. she is interested in the male betta. how is swim bladder disease curable? what medications are reccomended?

oh well, she kicked the bucket, we tried everything to save her, resuscitation and that.
Thankyou for your help anyway.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom