Leveling Issues

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

turkeysandwich

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I'm new to this forum so my apologies if the info I'm looking for is posted elsewhere on the site!

Anyway, I've been cycling my new 30gal glass aquarium for about a week now and I just noticed this morning that the water isn't level in the tank (about 1/4 of an inch off). The water level is skewed to one corner of the tank, which from what I've gathered is bad and needs to be fixed. I live in an apartment in a very old house so I'm positive the floor is uneven where the tank is. I'm picking up some wood shims to go under the stand in hopes of fixing this problem.

I guess my questions are: I've heard a lot of debate about how much damage a tilt can really do to an aquarium. Would this be an example of a tilt causing "twist" force on my tank? Additionally, would the placement of materials inside the tank (gravel, etc.) cause the water level to become uneven? I'd like to know how serious of an issue this could be, obviously it would be preferable to not have to empty out the tank and add even more time to the already long cycling process!

The most important thing is that the base that the bottom of the tank is sitting on is perfectly flat whether it is level or not. Then any off level tilt of the tank can be corrected with shims on the feet of the stand it sits on. OS.

Back
Top Bottom