LFS recommending fishless cycle

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Plus, not only are you basically torturing the "hardy" fish you use to cycle, but if they survive you're stuck with fish you don't necessarily want as tenants in your tank

If anybody here's a lawyer, I've been in sales my whole professional career and run a sales and marketing company. I can put something together. Problem is, all the major brands why try to crush you since they make so much $ with their "instant cycling" products. And I'm not sure the general public is willing to wait for weeks when they think they can cycle their tank in a day.

Mr. Limpet said:
I like that idea, since you could have an already cycled kit as an add on. 3-4weeks saved in cycling is worth a lot, given the amount of time spent monitoring, testing, etc. Translated into dollars and cents, that's worth a lot in my book. Plus they can still sell the fish, knowing they'll enter a new home well prepared.

Take it one step further and offer a workshop of sorts, for noobs to advanced. Someone with years of experience with FW, is a relative noob moving over to SW for the first time (like me :)). Even have local experts (many are here on AA) as guest speakers relating their experience to the same groups. An hour face to face with an experienced keeper would be worth a lot and give the LFS a AAA rating.

Sent from my Epic 4G using Aquarium Advice App

Thumbs up guys... Even if a dime isn't made on a new product then at least the fish and customer will benefit.

Actually, I like where it's going. I posted about them because it was such a nice change, and I wanted to tell others about it, but I didn't expect ideas like these to come out. Creativity comes when you least expect it, and it can't always be controlled.
Unfortunately, I don't think that many beginners would go for it(time factor), but the more experienced people and those that have done their research would(I know I would have).
This thread "highjack" might actually lead to a better world for people's fish, or at least one can hope.

straick said:
Actually, I like where it's going. I posted about them because it was such a nice change, and I wanted to tell others about it, but I didn't expect ideas like these to come out. Creativity comes when you least expect it, and it can't always be controlled.
Unfortunately, I don't think that many beginners would go for it(time factor), but the more experienced people and those that have done their research would(I know I would have).
This thread "highjack" might actually lead to a better world for people's fish, or at least one can hope.

Cool thanks for being a good sport and a catalyst for this discussion

No problem. The conversation is going in a good direction, so why would I want to stop or interfere.
The ideas in here so far could make it so that people who want fishtanks could take better care of their fish. Had I listened to the first LFS I had gone to, I'd have some very upset fish, and probably some major incompatibilty.
I only hope to see these ideas make it to full fruition and use.

straick said:

Good point, because brainstorming leads to better ideas.

I feel that if a newbie bought a first time system with established media and fish, they would have a better experience and not get frustrated with the troubles associated with starting from scratch. To many bad experiences and they give up out of frustration.

Petco and their 30 day guaranty expect die off and when a dead fish is returned, they most likely expect to make a sale on some other product to "cure the problem". Afterall, IMO that's the reason they don't promote fishless cycling. An exchanged 7 cent dead fish to them can translate into $10-20 or more in sales of other products.

LFS are the best outlet to avoid those pitfalls and can be foundation for the discussions in this thread. I for one would love to be able to go to a workshop (or 2) at a LFS to avoid problems with my first SW DT. Plus I'd most likely buy the bulk of products and fish from them, so a couple hours in a free workshop could translate into hundreds of dollars in sales. Sounds like a good ROI to me.

And being able to get an employee discount for your time wouldn't hurt either...Synergy would be a good term to use

straick said:
No problem. The conversation is going in a good direction, so why would I want to stop or interfere.
The ideas in here so far could make it so that people who want fishtanks could take better care of their fish. Had I listened to the first LFS I had gone to, I'd have some very upset fish, and probably some major incompatibilty.
I only hope to see these ideas make it to full fruition and use.

Me too, luckily we have all this experience at our finger tips. I hope this works

Mr. Limpet said:
lol. What are you going to patent?

What we'll all hopefully see on the shelves of Petco in the future. A complete fish less cycling kit. Even includes a seeded bio all from a tank. Problem with even experienced hobbyists is they can't find pure ammonia and other needed items. Like I said though, I could sell it, but companies like Tetra and Marineland would instantly try to destroy you.

It'd never work as a successful product other than lfs's selling something like bio balls. I like the idea of experienced hobbyists going and holding workshops at local stores though.

Just bought some tiny terracotta pots from the dollar store. 3 for a buck. I think those will attract BB.. If anyone starting a cycle needs one then they can get the hook up.

eco23 said:
What we'll all hopefully see on the shelves of Petco in the future. A complete fish less cycling kit. Even includes a seeded bio all from a tank. Problem with even experienced hobbyists is they can't find pure ammonia and other needed items. Like I said though, I could sell it, but companies like Tetra and Marineland would instantly try to destroy you.

Do you mean a patent on the kit? I don't think you can patent an idea like that, can you?

Back in the day the Sampson Rope Company patented a mooring line for ships called Sampson Braid (double braided nylon) .. It requires skill and a technique they developed in order to splice eyes in the bitter ends. Today even though other companies now make the line, the technique is still the same. They must have sold the idea. We are still to this day using them on ships...Is that similar to Eco's idea?

Deckape said:
Back in the day the Sampson Rope Company patented a mooring line for ships called Sampson Braid (double braided nylon) .. It requires skill and a technique they developed in order to splice eyes in the bitter ends. Today even though other companies now make the line, the technique is still the same. They must have sold the idea. We are still to this day using them on ships...Is that similar to Eco's idea?

Not really because it was a design/process, not a packaging idea. Kinda like bottled water, everyone can do it and not just the first company that came up with the idea.

As for the patent on the braid, patents expire unless they're amended/added to. I think it's 50 years but don't quote me.

Back
Top Bottom