life rock from bad tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Aquarium Advice Regular
There is a tank at my work, that was setup as a saltwater by someone who had no idea what they were doing.

It was filled with tap water, some chemical were added to the water.

sand was not washed. and proper amount of salt was not measured.

There was a clown fish in there that survived for about 3 months, but it looked very unhappy.

water was never tested for any type of proper levels, just tap water regularly added once in a while.

MY MAIN QUESTION IS

there is currently 2 live rocks in there, they are taking the tank down, so I was thinking about taking the live rocks and putting them in my tank that is currently cycling. one of the rocks has some black slime stuff on it, I cant really tell if they have any life left on them.

IS IT A GOOD IDEA FOR ME TO TAKE THOSE ROCKS TO PUT IN MY TANK?

SHOULD I WASH THE ROCKS WITH REGULAR WATER?

IF I WASH WILL IT KILL THE THE LIFE ON IT?

I would take them and inspect them THOROUGHLY for any life forms. That black slime isn't something you want in your tank though. I would just take it and scrub it clean and soak it in some sunlight and use it as base rock. I doubt any invertebrate life survived such an ordeal anyways.

There is a tank at my work, that was setup as a saltwater by someone who had no idea what they were doing.

It was filled with tap water, some chemical were added to the water.

?

Unless you know what type of chemicals they added I would pass on the rocks. LR absorbs things from the water and if he used copper treatment or some other chemical in the tank it could be a disaster for your tank.

only de-chlorinizer chemicals were added to the tank as well as conditioner/stress reliever

i agree with chuck when you find LR like that from tanks that are bad they have a tendency to carry over what the other tank had to yours and destroy your livestock

If it was me I would scrub it in some SW and then add it to the tank. It is obviously cured and should do good. You`ll need to make sure it`s SW so as not to kill all the beneficial bacteria.

Back
Top Bottom