Light Fixture Help for 20'' wide tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jnizzle

Aquarium Advice Regular
hello! Im doing my first planted tank and im having trouble finding the right light fixture. My tank is 20'' wide and id like to have something like a dual t5 fixture but i think the BULBS are 20'' making the fixture something like 24''. I would really appreciate any suggestions. Thanks! if im leaving out an info just ask. :thanks:

CFLs work well over a small tank. I think you'll struggle to find a small fluorescent tube fixture and if you do, replacement bulbs will be expensive. A DIY LED fixture is also an option.

Another option is a 24" T5HO fixture... as long as it has adjustable legs (which most T5HO fixtures have), it'll adjust down to a 20" tank. Not sure how big the tank is though, since 2x24 over anything shallow would be a good amount of light, probably requiring the addition of pressurized co2 and a steady fert regimine.

CFLs work well over a small tank. I think you'll struggle to find a small fluorescent tube fixture and if you do, replacement bulbs will be expensive. A DIY LED fixture is also an option.

ok thanks. which cfl bulbs should i use and how many?

Is this a 10 gallon? If you don't mind, what exactly do you want that much light for? Is there a specific plant you want?

Is this a 10 gallon? If you don't mind, what exactly do you want that much light for? Is there a specific plant you want?

Its an 18g with the top dimensions of the standard 10. My plants are:
-Amazon Sword
-Anacharis, Elodea
-Green Mondo Grass:hide:

Mondo grass isn't aquatic. It will melt eventually. Maybe not this week, maybe not the next, but it will eventually give up on you.

Honestly, if that's all you're aiming to grow, you should be fine with a stock hood and CFLs. The T5s will only complicate what should be a fairly simple setup.

+ 1 on the mondo grass not being aquatic. Also, that amazon sword will be busting out of the tank quickly if it's happy. I had a couple that grew out the top of my 29g.

Ok so i might do some DIY CFL's.. Im thinking ~ 15w x2 bulbs that are 5000k. would this be possible?

5000k isn't best for aquatic plant growth and puts out an aweful yellowish tint.

At Wallyworld I was able to find 20 watt equivalents with 7500k on the cheap. Had to dig and read a lot of fine print first though. That would give you plenty of light but not too much with a good color.

Yes, really simple and do the trick. Inexpensive also compared to LFS options.

Awesome! Thanks for the advice! Ill look for some ~6500k bulbs. If i put two ~20 watt ones in, that should support plant growth correct?

Back
Top Bottom