Light Fixture

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

redsea

Aquarium Advice Addict
What would be a good fixture that can grow plants for a 20H? Thanks. Also, I am looking for one for about $50.00.

Moved to planted tanks forum.

What plants do you want to grow? Are you planing on CO2 injection? What ferts are you willing to dose?

fort384 said:
Moved to planted tanks forum.

What plants do you want to grow? Are you planing on CO2 injection? What ferts are you willing to dose?

Oops, sorry for the wrong section! :)

I do not plan on using a CO2 system, but I am willing to dose fertilizers.

Thanks.

Nope, I am very new to plants and don't know of many. :) I am not looking to care for difficult plants though.

You are going to be hard pressed to stay at $50 unless you find a good deal on a used fixture.

I would recommend a dual T5HO fixture, and either only run 1 bulb, or run 1 actinic and 1 ~8000K. This way you have room to upgrade should you decide you want more than ~1 WPG of T5HO. Running 2 to start without co2 could lead to trouble... although you could probably even get away with running 2 bulbs with usable light without injecting CO2.

You could also look at LED fixtures, but it is going to be way more than $50 if you buy a COTS LED fixture. You might be able to build 1 for $50-100 if you have the skillz.

Back
Top Bottom