Light recommendations for 55G planted tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rickf

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I am considering switching out the fake plants in my 55G for live plants. My substrate is gravel and I currently have 2 Aqueon hoods that each house 1 18" T8 bulb. I was looking at getting Amazon Swords, Java Fern, and Anubias. As for lighting I was thinking of getting 2 Life-Glo 2 15-watt bulbs. Would this be sufficient? I've seen some other threads saying for a 55G you'd need 40-60 watts of lighting.

Probably for the anubias and ferns. Might not be enough light to have healthy amazon swords

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Probably for the anubias and ferns. Might not be enough light to have healthy amazon swords

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

What are the other lighting options for the hoods I have?

you really can't get better lighting with the hood you have. For cheap solid medium lighting look at this product: http://www.amazon.com/Odyssea-Aquarium-Light-Fluorescent-Fixture/dp/B005KXCMPS It is what i started with on my 55 gallon and it is truly an awesome light for the money. Not the most quality fixture on the market but does the job. My suggestion though is to switch out the bulbs it comes with for coralife bulbs as they are much better quality. Hope this helps!:)

Is there a decent budget for this upgrade in lighting? Or are you trying to do this on a tight budget?

Okay just making sure.. didn't catch that anywhere in the initial post. Go with Brook or Dallas' suggestions.

you really can't get better lighting with the hood you have. For cheap solid medium lighting look at this product: Amazon.com : Odyssea 48" T5 HO Aquarium Light Dual Fluorescent Hood Fixture - Plant 2x54W : Pet Supplies It is what i started with on my 55 gallon and it is truly an awesome light for the money. Not the most quality fixture on the market but does the job. My suggestion though is to switch out the bulbs it comes with for coralife bulbs as they are much better quality. Hope this helps!:)

Looking at that it looks like it replaces by hoods or does it somehow attach to them?

Back
Top Bottom