Light Unit Tubes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nickb144

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
light unit tubes

Hi. Can anyone help please. I have a juwel record 800 aquarium (30 gallon-3 foot). My question is regarding the light unit in the hood. It has two 18w tubes. One is a warm lite and the other is a day lite. When I switch on they both light up producing quite a bright glow which is fine during the afternoon but for evening time I would prefer if it was slightly softer. Does anyone know if I can take out the day lite tube and just use the remaining warm lite tube which I tried last night and is lovely soft glow. This though means the connections on end brackets of removed tube are exposed to condensation from tank and possible water splashes too which does not sound like a good idea. When you insert tube into connection bracket there is a screw cap you must tighten up which protects the connection. Is there any way to cover these exposed connections when tube is removed or do I just have to live with having two tubes on all the time. Suppose I could buy another warm lite tube and run two of these instead. Your comments would be much appreciated as always. Thanks

Last edited:
If it were me, I probably wouldn't worry about it and just run the light without a bulb in it. An alternate option that may work if it will bother you is running it with one burned out bulb so that you've at least got something in the socket.

Thanks. Yeah great idea. Might just run a burned out tube in its place like you suggested...when one burns out. Until then think I can live with it for now.

Back
Top Bottom