Lighting Advice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Wingman-Goose

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hi

I have recently set up some tanks in my garage which is pitch black. I had lights on the tank which I had running for 8 hours a day but when these weren't on the room was in complete darkness.

I struggled to get any plants to grow in this tank and the fish are a lot happier now they have been moved to a tank with natural light getting to the tank before the tank lights come on.

I have seen many people with garage and basement fish rooms with no windows / natural light in. Can anyone help with how they get around the lighting issue or what I can do to get these tanks working to some level?

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Are you juicing with ferts or root tabs?

What kind of lighting is it?

How deep is the tank?

What kinds of plants are you trying to grow?

- St Charles Almendras Geraldizo

Added Easycarbo daily and a weekly fertiliser. Tanks are all 24"12"12" in size.

The light was an LED Arcadia light and the plants were only crypts.

Seemed to be a big problem with the room being pitch black and fish were still sleeping ( fish equivalent ) when tank lights came on. Looking to see how others get around this problem

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

I dnt see anything wrong with the room being pitch black at all. Fish and plants need darkness.
But im also not familiar with your lighting. Is there any other information about your fixture you can provide us??

- St Charles Almendras Geraldizo

Seems other have said LED lights are sometimes not the best for plant growth. I use shop lights in my basement

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I run night lights...
Just one moon light in the whole room but in the middle of night it makes a huge difference compared to total darkness.
Both my fishrooms are in my basement with one small window(24x12) that face North...
It is rarely totally dark in nature.....
Even just the garage room light turned on before tank light and left on after tank light(for 1/2 hour each say?) will serve as a ramp up and down of some sort...

Back
Top Bottom