lighting and coral

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Joemama16341

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have a 55 gallon tank with two 130 watt power compact lights giving me about 4.73 watts per gallon what types of coral can my tank support? Also how long should a tank run before adding any corals?

You should be able to keep most low-mid light LPS and maybe some SPS in that range. Don't try clams though.

Fireman

fireman26m,

Do you use the same id on Ebay? If so you you and I just bought snails from the same place.

With that lighting you have a ton of options. Mushrooms, leathers, polyps, zoos, most LPS and even some SPS corals. Now comes the fun part of picking them out.

How long should your tank run before you attempt to add coral? I would like to try some zoos right off the bat my tank has been running for 3 months and has went through the fully cycle. All my water specs are perfect except my nitrates which are still at 10 so that shouldn't be too bad. Is it too soon for me to try these or should I save my money for awhile. Oh by the way I started the tank with a 3 inch deep precured sand bed and filled the tank with ocean water to start the cycling process faster. I have 8 fish and have not lost a single one. So I think my cycle must have worked fast using established products to start with. Any thought?

Yeah....that's me on Ebay. I've been buying some lately and selling them to my LFS for 2x the price.....funding my habit!!! LOL.

Joe....that 10ppm nitrates may not come down...8 fish (depending on size) may be a bit much in a 55. You could probably get some hardy corals now but you should look at options to get the nitrate down a little more before trying some of the more delicate corals.

I've been buying some lately and selling them to my LFS for 2x the price.....funding my habit!!! LOL.

Cool. I just bought some more, got 200 for 26 bux plus shipping. :mrgreen:

I would stick t only softies if it were me. Even thouh it is 4.73 WPG not all light is thesame. If you want SPS you need more PC or mH. But what you have will work for most softies and some LPS like bubble corals and fox cors and Button (scolymia) coral.

the 8 fish I have are all very small fish 1 1/2" head to tail is the biggest fish I have. Do you still think that is too many fish? Also what is the best way to get my nitrates lower?

Back
Top Bottom