Lighting concern

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

hamburgler

Aquarium Advice Activist
The only hood i have to work with right now for my dorm room tank is one with 2 incandecent fixtures. I purchased some low wattage flourecents that will fit in the incandecent sockets.

Around the fitting where the bulb threads in there is a rubber sleeve to prevent water from hitting it directly.

I was concerned if this is enough in terms of safety? Should i get some extra coverage, or will it be OK? The bulb is exposed, but not the area where it connects.
I tried a peice of plexiglass across the rim of the tank under the lights but it had too much sag.

Thanks.

It will probably be ok. Just check on it to see how much water evaporates onto it. The hood was designed like this? I think I know the one you have. They usually come with a curved plastic shield.

If it really bothers you, you could raise the light up with two wood blocks or anything that would work.

Okay, i figured it would be fine as it was designed like that. This is a marineland one, the all glass one has the curved sleeve, but that only coveres the bulb and not the connection. I think the one i have is much safer. Ill have to see how it works when i get it setup. I am OCD with stuff like this.

thanks!

You could put a glass top on your aquarium too. They're usually pretty reasonably priced.

JRagg said:
You could put a glass top on your aquarium too. They're usually pretty reasonably priced.

The problem with that is that its a full hood, so i would have to remove the hood completely then pull up the glass hood just to feed the fish. Which is why i tried the plexiglass, which ended up sagging too much.

Try a thicker piece of plexiglass or piece of glass cut so that it leaves you rooom at the front to feed the fish.

Ahh, you're talking about one of those one piece hoods. Ugh, I used to have one and ended up replacing it for this very reason.

Back
Top Bottom