lighting for planted tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

wildcatcrzy

Aquarium Advice Regular
I want to put some low light plants in my 45-50 gallon tank. It's tall (48 inches). The lighting hood holds an 18" light , but I also have another hood that holds 2 bulbs at max of 25 watts each. Which would be best and what kind of bulb? Plant suggestions are welcome too.

Your Lighting Question

View attachment 52007Good morning wild...

The two bulb setup creates a lighting break in the middle. But, since you're going with low light plants, this shouldn't be a problem.

I have a 45 G tall (see pic) that I use to experiment with low light plants and different ferts and the plants do very well.

Java fern is good either attached to lava rock on the bottom or attached to driftwood and floated. Anubias and varieties of Cryptocoryne will also do well in low light.

If you want to get a little creative with low light, you can float Water sprite on the surface, close to the light and attach Banana plants to driftwood.

I you have any questions, please let me know.

B

How big of a bulb do you use? Is 25watt ok to get the light that deep or should I use a flouresant light?

Tall Tank Lighting

Hello again Wild...

I use one bulb. It's a 6500 K, 32 watt, T12. However, it's a 36 inch bulb in a single bulb strip.

Two bulbs will work if that's your setup. Get 6500 Ks if at all possible. 15 to 17 watt bulbs is likely the best you can do without spending quite a bit more on lighting. The 6500 Ks are closest to natural daylight, which is what you need. I use bulbs from the local hardware store. GE has recently come out with an aquarium plant bulb that works very well. The local hardware store should carry them and they're inexpensive too.

Again, you have to go with low light plants only. Plants that require moderate light won't do well, unless they can live floating or you find a way to pot them and get them closer to the light source.

B

Back
Top Bottom