lighting help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cmbks21

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hey, new here ,and new to fish. My tank measures 24.25" long by 12.5" wide, im wanting to upgrade to t5 ho lights,. I was searching on drsfostersmith site, i just dont know what to get. Is the stand adjustable on them, thats really my only question,. It says 24", and thats my entire length .??

Ok. For those type of plants you do Not need HO lights. HO= High Output

Read up on lighting.

If you put high light on your tank, you must also add ferts AND CO2 or you'll grow an Algae Farm.

If you want a High Light/High Tech tank that's fine. But maintenance is more important and it's much more of a balancing act, esp for a newbie.

You can always upgrade your light later.

I have low light/low tech tanks. I use the original Incandescent fixture, but I substituted two 10watt mini CFLs that are 6,500K.

Low light looks bright, the PAR or light intensity is lower.

There are some stickies on the FW planted tanks forum that you should read, if you haven't already.
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f24/articles-to-help-with-the-planted-tank-83826.html

So hold off buying till you know what you want to grow.

I grow these tanks with low light
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1418671798.594081.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1418671823.078377.jpg

Smoke signals from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ok thanks. I have an 18" 15 watt bulb,, i just didnt think that was enough. Ive read so much on lights im confused, . I got these plants because of low light, so if im fine, im fine. Thanks again.

You're fine;)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Ok thanks. I have an 18" 15 watt bulb,, i just didnt think that was enough. Ive read so much on lights im confused, . I got these plants because of low light, so if im fine, im fine. Thanks again.

It is confusing at first. You can check your Kelvin number on the bulb. It's just personal preference but I try to stick around 6,500K

You are fine for now [emoji106]

Smoke signals from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom