Lighting Identification

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Aquarium1

Aquarium Advice Addict
I got a light fixture on criagslist. I think it is a perfecto 48" but not sure. Could someone please post a pic of the writing on the back of their perfecto or type if they have to? Also do perfectos have a rubber piece on the switch? I really need help. I'll post some pics soon, once I get some probably today. I need to find out what brand so I know what lighting to get.

Pics

I got a light fixture on criagslist. I think it is a perfecto 48" but not sure. Could someone please post a pic of the writing on the back of their perfecto or type if they have to? Also do perfectos have a rubber piece on the switch? I really need help. I'll post some pics soon, once I get some probably today. I need to find out what brand so I know what lighting to get.

It has 4 vent sections.
Picture%20003.jpg

Picture%20004.jpg

Picture%20005.jpg

Thank you.

You don't need to know the brand to get the light bulb!

From the markings on the back, this is a 48" single T12 fixture. You can use any of the standard 48" (T12) bulbs from the hardware store. Personally, I would choose a 48" daylight/full spectrum bulb (looks better.) You may be able to use also a 32W T8 bulb if this fixture has an electronic ballast. The T8 & 12's have the same pin holder & should be interchangeable, as long as the ballast will light the bulb. <T8's are more efficient, so less $$ on running it, plus runs cooler ... most newer ballasts will run it - in addition to the 34/36W energy saver T12's.>

You don't need to know the brand to get the light bulb!

From the markings on the back, this is a 48" single T12 fixture. You can use any of the standard 48" (T12) bulbs from the hardware store. Personally, I would choose a 48" daylight/full spectrum bulb (looks better.) You may be able to use also a 32W T8 bulb if this fixture has an electronic ballast. The T8 & 12's have the same pin holder & should be interchangeable, as long as the ballast will light the bulb. <T8's are more efficient, so less $$ on running it, plus runs cooler ... most newer ballasts will run it - in addition to the 34/36W energy saver T12's.>

Thanks soo much. How can I tell what ballast it has or is it even possible?

I opened mine up and looked up the ballast on the internet for compatable bulbs. Usually it will list on the ballast tho which bulbs it is compatible with (or at leawst mine did)

well on a perfecto hood you need to remove the bulb first, then unscrew the three screws in the back outside of the hood. this unhinges the metal cover on the inside of the hood. The ballast is located within..

well on a perfecto hood you need to remove the bulb first, then unscrew the three screws in the back outside of the hood. this unhinges the metal cover on the inside of the hood. The ballast is located within..

Thnx I'll hav 2 do tht som time.

You can open the fixture to look at the ballast, or just borrow a T8 tube & see if it fits. If it lights up, you are good to go!

<And the ballast then is at least a hybrid electro-magnetic one, if not a full electronic one. Another way to guess without opening the fixture is by weight. The old magnetic ballasts are big & heavy - like 2-3 lbs, while the electronic ones are only 3-4 oz. If the fixture is really heavy, esp on one end, it prob has an old ballast.>

You can open the fixture to look at the ballast, or just borrow a T8 tube & see if it fits. If it lights up, you are good to go!

<And the ballast then is at least a hybrid electro-magnetic one, if not a full electronic one. Another way to guess without opening the fixture is by weight. The old magnetic ballasts are big & heavy - like 2-3 lbs, while the electronic ones are only 3-4 oz. If the fixture is really heavy, esp on one end, it prob has an old ballast.>

I'll check in the morning and update as soon as I can.

From what Ive read I must advise against this. Using a bulb with an improper ballast can severly shorten the bulb life. overheat, and can even burn out your ballast. Just check to make sure first so you dont ruin your light. T8 and T12 lights have the same socket size, but just because a T8 lights up in your ballast, doesnt mean the ballast is rated for a T8 bulb.

From what Ive read I must advise against this. Using a bulb with an improper ballast can severly shorten the bulb life. overheat, and can even burn out your ballast. Just check to make sure first so you dont ruin your light. T8 and T12 lights have the same socket size, but just because a T8 lights up in your ballast, doesnt mean the ballast is rated for a T8 bulb.

For a magnetic could I use T-12?

For a magnetic Ballast could I use T-12?

The ballasts are rated for wattage, not for bulb size. So in theory you can plug in a 40W PC or T5 into that old 40W T12 ballast (with new end caps) & it should work.

So yes, an old 40W ballasts will light a T10 or 12 40W tube. <It will even work with a 40W T8 - although I have only seen those at lfs for $$$$.> I have old magnetic fixtures running 36W T12's in my garage, but they will not light a 32W T8 .... but if it works, it is like overdriving & will shorten the bulb life. However, most people need to change bulbs after 6-12 months anyways, so that is a moot point. <The Overdirve fanatics typically put 80W ballasts to a 40W bulb, & still get 6 or so month of use.>

At any rate, my suggestion to try a T8 does not mean use a $30 lfs bulb. Rather, a $3 Home depot tube.

PS - one more sign of an old magnetic ballast - it hums in use.

The ballasts are rated for wattage, not for bulb size. So in theory you can plug in a 40W PC or T5 into that old 40W T12 ballast (with new end caps) & it should work.

So yes, an old 40W ballasts will light a T10 or 12 40W tube. <It will even work with a 40W T8 - although I have only seen those at lfs for $$$$.> I have old magnetic fixtures running 36W T12's in my garage, but they will not light a 32W T8 .... but if it works, it is like overdriving & will shorten the bulb life. However, most people need to change bulbs after 6-12 months anyways, so that is a moot point. <The Overdirve fanatics typically put 80W ballasts to a 40W bulb, & still get 6 or so month of use.>

At any rate, my suggestion to try a T8 does not mean use a $30 lfs bulb. Rather, a $3 Home depot tube.

PS - one more sign of an old magnetic ballast - it hums in use.

Well I'll b ok with the 12s 4 now. After a few years I'll get a new fixture. In the future I plan on having saltwater so I'll need a better fixture for that any way (if I go reef) but that'll b a wile.

Back
Top Bottom