Lighting opinions???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tipton34

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have built a 70 gallon tank. It is only 16"deep. I was planning on getting the four bulb inflorescent fixture from home depot. First.... Would that be OK?? Second...... If it is a fowlr tank what would be the best light setup? All actinic, all white,etc??

Have you considered LEDs?

My reef tank is running 3 watt leds. I am growing sps corals no problem.

My fish only tank is running 2 50$ marine land led fixtures and I couldn't be happier. This unit has 40, .06 watt LEDs. The reason these are good is they seem bright to us but do not really grow algae. I have none. Also has the option to switch to white or all blue on the unit. This comes all the way from 24" to 48" units and can be bought online or at petsmart. LEDs will last 8+ years and have extremely little draw on your electricity bill.

I wouldn't spend very much on a FOWLR lighting setup. Whatever will make it pleasing to you will be best in this case. The actinics will make it more pleasing to the eye. I run 1 10k and 1 actinic over my FOWLR system on a T5 setup. Gives it a nice light blue glow.

Tipton34 said:
Could you post a picture of your tank?

Two cheap fixtures. They have blue or white. Great for a fish only IMO. I bought two little instead of one big so I can have one side blue for the lion and one side white for my
Own viewing pleasure! :)

Ohhhhhh I got it, I thought you bought two long ones. like went the length of the tank

Well they have the long 48" one, I just chose not to go that route. Tell you what tho, no replacement bulbs and unnoticeable draw on my electric bill, you can't go wrong, really.

Is that the single bright led setup or is it the double bright?

Alright good, I found them for $38 a piece! IM going to order them this week! I just finished building the stand and testing my diy 70 gallon tank

Yep, thats it!!! Thanks for the advice! I think it will look great

Back
Top Bottom