Lighting options with a canopy?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jphendren

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have a 55 gallon saltwater tank currently cycling. It is the standard 48" long 55. My stand came with a canopy, which I am okay with not using, but my wife is insistent that it stays on LOL. Anyways, are there any good reef capable light fixtures that are okay under a canopy? Most that I have seen that put out decent light either put out too much heat, or are too large.

I do not want to go retrofit, I really just want a nice aluminum housing with lights in it that you just plug and go. I like this light:

Metal Halide Reef Aquarium Lighting: Aqualight Advanced Series HQI Metal Halide Fixture

I realize that a metal halide puts off too much heat to be kept under a canopy. How about any of the 48" fixtures like a Nova Extreme, would they fit under a canopy, how about heat issues? My lid sits 6 3/4" off of the glass aquarium top.

Jared

If you could post a pic of your canopy and the measurements that would help in recommending the right lighting solution for you. Depending on the size of the canopy, you may be able to run MH or T5HO's with the proper modifications.

48" wide X 10" wide X 7" high. That is all free space, and back is open. Is it possible to run a small metal halide under a canopy? I was under the impression that they generated too much heat.

Jared

48" wide X 10" wide X 7" high. That is all free space, and back is open. Is it possible to run a small metal halide under a canopy? I was under the impression that they generated too much heat.

Jared

I would not put a MH in the canopy as it is now. A MH bulb should be about 10" off the surface of the water so as your canopy sits it would be too close to the water.

You could certainly use T5s with your current setup or with a little modification you could incorporate MHs.

Back
Top Bottom