lighting question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sansouci01

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I'm using an aqua ray 40 watt bulb for my 55 gallon community tank. I have no real plants in the tank. The light looks great but puts out a lot of heat. The temp under the hood reaches 102 degrees. Is there a light that I can use that still looks nice but gives off a little less heat? I have an led strip light that I use for blue light at night. It does change to white but it's just not bright enough to light the tank.

I went looking for aquaray lights and was expecting an incandescent bulb of some type. 102 degrees is over the top. I was going to suggest a CFL will give good like and a decent color, but I don't think it'll screw in to the hood or fixture.

102 is dangerous even for people.
Sorry can't help other than to mention that.

Have you considered hanging the fixture an inch above the tank so thatq the heat can disperse. Even putting it on small mounting legs should help IMO.

55 G Lighting

I'm using an aqua ray 40 watt bulb for my 55 gallon community tank. I have no real plants in the tank. The light looks great but puts out a lot of heat. The temp under the hood reaches 102 degrees. Is there a light that I can use that still looks nice but gives off a little less heat? I have an led strip light that I use for blue light at night. It does change to white but it's just not bright enough to light the tank.

Hello sans...

The tube is likely a T12, which is fine for your 55 G as long as long as it's recommended for aquarium use. If it isn't, then you should replace it. Most hardware stores carry GE aquarium plant bulbs for under $10.00. You just need a 48 inch bulb. Either a 40 watt, T12 or a 32 watt, T8 will be fine as long as there are only low light plants in the tank.

B

sansouci01 said:
Sorry, I didn't mention it was a t-12 48" bulb. would a smaller bulb like a t-5 work?

A T5 bulb won't fit. You should be able to fit a T10 or T8 bulb as the connectors are the same size. The bulb will be overdriven though so not sure if it will help the heat issue.

Back
Top Bottom