Lighting question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pollex.jaypee

Aquarium Advice Activist
I'm having trouble finding good lighting for my 20 gal high tank. (24x12x16)
All I can find in petshops are T8 15 watt bulbs. Its name is colour bright (nirox)
I've read everywhere that a good lighting should be 2 watts per gallon.
So I'm starting to consider hardware bulbs. I mean, could I use them instead?

Although I have not used hardware store "shop lights" for a planted aquarium, I know it has been done. I would just get bulbs close to the daylight 6500K color temperature rating. Make sure to create some distance from the water because shop lights, to my understanding, versus fixtures specifically built for aquariums, lack a splash shield to protect the bulbs from water. Unless you have a glass top on your aquarium?

You can probably gauge how powerful they would be by guesstimating their output based on no-reflectors or very poor reflectors (unless of course, you find good reflectors for them), with how many bulbs you're using, along with the distance from light to substrate.

There's a good lighting resource created on TPT by Hoppy that can help guide you:
PAR vs Distance, T5, T12, PC - New Chart

Another option I can think of would depend on budget (and how shipping is in the PI). Have you tried calling around LFS's in the PI if they have planted tank lights? Or how about ebay and having some shipped from HK or China? There's usually a lot of inexpensive aquarium lighting, LED or otherwise, coming out from China. The PI isn't too far from there so I'd imagine shipping wouldn't be too bad or there might be resellers of such goods in your region.

And lastly, it might be expensive, but if anyone in the PI has planted tank equipment, it has to be any store affiliated by ADA on their PI site:
Retailers

Think the next time I hit up the PI myself, I hitting up these places featured on their FB page :)
https://www.facebook.com/ADAPhilippines

Thank you very much brian for that reply!
I really appreciate it. Something really knowledgeable to read.
Also I already liked the fb page :)

Well I've given up in the hardware lights because I think I'm too novice for them.
I got a flourescent tube from the lfs. Unfortunately, it does not come with a package, and they actually sell it as it is. Naked, only the tube.
All information I got was it is 15watt, T8, and says TFC FL-1B in the bulb.
It really looks good in the aquarium. (except for the fishes, they look weird)
But I'm not sure if it's any good to the plants.

Back
Top Bottom