Lighting Questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

littlerob904

Aquarium Advice Regular
I'm in the process of setting up my first tank (freshwater) I will be starting a fishless cycle soon, once I get everything setup. My main question is in regards to lighting. The tank I have was previously used as a saltwater tank by a coworker. Along with the tank he gave me a Coralife Lunar Aqualight Dual 48" hood light.

The light is currently missing 1 of 4 blue LEDS (can be replaced for ~9$)

There are two 10,000k super daylight lamps and 2 actinic lamps (one actinic is burned out)

I don't know a lot about lighting other than the amount of light is dependant on the type of fish and / or plants.

Would this amount of light be overkill for a freshwater setup? Would it suffice as long as I provided shaded cover in the tank? (From plants, or decorations)

Is it beneficial to replace the burned out actinic bulb? Or should I purchase another type / or remove the actinics altogether?

What size tank? Do you plan to have plants?

The actinics aren't of any real relevance to FW tanks, like they are for SW, but they don't hurt and can help really bring out the colors in your fish.

It's a 75g tank.

I'd like to get some plants, but I'm not really interested in going crazy at this point (CO2 injection) I don't really know a whole lot about plants but I plan on looking into it when I start thinking about fish.

Back
Top Bottom