Lighting questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kimlafeiet

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hi all. I am starting my first saltwater tank, which will start as a FOWLR tank, but I will eventually start adding corals. I am having some trouble deciding with going with an "all in one" style setup, or using an exisiting tank and filter I have.
My biggest concerns with all this are with the lighting.

The nano cube I am looking at is the JBJ 24 Gallon Nano Cube. What kind of corals will I be able to keep with the stock lighting on this tank?

I also currently have 2 Aquatic Life Dual T5HO lights (they link together to essentially make 1 4 bulb light). Each bulb has it's own individual reflector. I can replace the current bulbs (6700k plant bulbs) with 2 10000k and 2 actinic bulbs, 24w each. Would this setup give me sufficient lighting to grow any corals, and if so, what kinds of corals? The lights would sit over a 25 gallon show tank, 22 inches tall.

I think you would be okay with just about any beginner coral. I would avoid SPS and clams for now, but eventually there are some SPS varieties that will grow fine once the tank matures. Soft and LPS varieties should be okay as long as they aren't filter feeders (sun corals and some SPS are examples). Kenya tree, Xenia, GSP, zoas, frogspawn, torches, button polyps of all kinds are just a few good ones for you to try.

Thank you. I am definitely leaning towards softies, I will steer clear of SPS and harder to care for corals for now :)

What is the general consensus on the nano cube style tanks? I DO like the "all in one" benefits they have to offer, such as the filtration all hidden in the back, lid, lights, etc, and the clean look that has to offer........but are they really worth it?

I think I am just nervous with this being my first saltie tank that a system such as the Nano Cube will be easier than piecing a tank together myself. Thoughts?

A good all in 1 is the way to go. My redsea max is the best tank ever when it comes to maintenance. They did a good job setting the filtration up and the integrated ATO helps tremendously. Only thing I plan to change is going from the factory 10 bulb T5 hood to LEDs. Other than that I have zero complaints. A JBJ nano cube would be sweet or maybe a solana depending on your budget.

Back
Top Bottom