Lighting Questsion

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

reefrules

Aquarium Advice Newbie
OK, so my question may be a pipe dream or ignorant so I will apologize in advance...

I have a 280 gal (96"Lx24"Wx30"D), I currently have Fish with 150lbs. of Live Rock and would like to bring in a hardy mix of Coral.

I currently have 2 Power Compacts that have 2-96w lights in each. I know this is not enough and have been scanning the web for the magic formula that will tell me what I need...
This is where you guys come in, can you please give me some very specific answers on what is the best light configuration for most importantly fish Quality of life, but also considering heat and electricity cost....
Thanks for your help
Rick

for fish only, what you have is fine. wicked lighting is needed when you start adding corals, but depending on what you want to keep, it may not have to be that strong.

I use 2x96watt power compacts on a 40gallon, and that gives em enough for quite a few corals, and at least a BTA.

Basically if you wanna get into soft corals, shoot for at least 3 watts per gallon. 5 wpg is a better starting point tho, in terms of variety.

Back
Top Bottom