Lighting timer???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jmanc

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have a 55g fish only tank with live sand and about 20lbs of live rock(for show). I just purchased a lighting timer(daylight, acentic, lunar) and wanted to know if anyone had any suggestions on how many hours I should run each light for optimal results. I have a 265w compact light with lunar lights. I started to develop algae on the glass and live rock. The tank has been running for approximately 6-8 months. Live stock: Yellow tang, atlantic blue tang, powder brown tang, 2 clowns, porcupine puffer, spotted sweetlips, and purple antheia.

Welcome to AA. I run my lights from 10a to 9p. About 11 hrs. Most people I know do 8-12 hours. Now as far as the algea. IMO your bioload is way overloaded for that size tank. Three tangs and a puffer and other fish. You are going to have to lower that bioload or do some heavy duty filtration and PWC`s. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news. What are your water test results?

Welcome to the site!
I agree, your tank is heavily overloaded or will be soon. I would also suggest adding more LR for better biofiltration (about 1.5-2Lbs per gallon).
Some folks run their acitincs an hour before and during and about half hour after the other lights come on (the LEDs stay on all the time). I used to do this but don't anymore and I run my lights for 8 hours.

NH3 -- 0ppm
no2 --2ppm
NO3 --60 to 80 ppm very high i know

You should do some immediate water changes (20% or so, once a day) to get those nitrites down. Nitrite readings of 2.0ppm is bad news. The nitrates are the least of your concerns right now.

Agree with the others regarding bioload. You're going to have to find a new home for some of those fish or you will be fighting this tank all the time.

Back
Top Bottom