lighting times

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
G

Hello,

I have a current outer orbit 48" lid with 2 halides, dual actinic sunpaqs & lunar lights.

Now the blues come on at 1:00pm. Halides at 2:00pm. Halides off at 10:00pm and blues off at 11:00pm with the lunars coming on when the blues turn off.

Lunars turn off at 1:00 am.

I was not sure about leaving the lunars on all night due the fact the the purple tang still pretty active until its black in there. Then he just chills in the rock.

How do those times sounds to you all?

My actinics come on at 9am and the MH's at 10am. MH's go off at 10 PM and the actinic go off at 11pm. My 2 moonlights stay on 24/7.

Yours sounds ok but I would want light before 1pm personally.

yeah I have my Actinics on for 12 hours and MH for 10 hours Lunar for 12 hours

so your saying no "black time?

If so I'll start slowly increasing the moon lights.

Let's say that someone (me) is only home for 4 - 6 hours a day MAX. I've heard that you only need to run your MH for 6 hours a day to get their effect. Is this true. Do I need a longer lighting schedule? I am not housing any corals right now, but I will be in the near future.

Corals (depending on variety) will require strong lighting as they have in the wild. They live in tropical conditions; long periods (12 hours) of very intense sunlight. They require this for growth of the zooxanthellae which they feed off.

Back
Top Bottom