lighting

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

keu131

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
how long per day should i leave my aquarium lights on?
or should i never turn them off?:confused:

You leave them on and cut them off just like nature. Fish and corals have to sleep and recharge also. I have mine on for 12 hours and off for 12 hours. Never leave your lights on for all day.

Thank You

I was going to post the exact same question about how long per day I shouls keep my lights on. Thanks for the answer. It makes a lot of sence.

thanks!!

i was thinking it would be something logical like that but i really wanted to check!!
i only have live rock in mine so far.. i wanted to be sure before i got any fish!!

depends on the lights and what is in the tank. the more light you have, the more algae you might get, especially in a FOWLR tank with strong lighting.

If you had metal halide and corals, you would be looking at a specific schedule.

I got mine used and the owner B4 me only turned the lights off for 8 hours. that means on for 16 hours. Should I change that???

I would change that. 8-10 hrs on will suit you best. Gauge the start and finish time by what time you want to view the tank. I did mine on at 1 and off at 11.

Hawaii has daylight hours of 11-13 hours a day... so if your in the tropical area of Hawaii (or at least your fish are from around that parallel) somewhere in that area would be good.

Back
Top Bottom