Lighting

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Squantobeatinu

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I I'm think about going with a all compact fluorescent lighting for my aquarium I want know if it's a bad idea for a reef set up or is ok for one and if it's fine what should I have in it I have a 130 gallon tank 72/21/21 please let me know what should I do thanks I want to be able to support any coral may not get all kinds but I ratter no I can safely and if it can be done with compact fluorescents I want to do it that way thank u

Compact fluorescent bulbs are not a good choice for a reef tank with corals. You need T5's, MH or LED's if you plan on keeping corals.

and or what leds can be used the only reason why i ask is because i have 3 compact fluorescents ballast that holds 2 bulbs each i have a hqi ballast for 2 150 watt hgi bulbs and 2 48'' compact fluorescent system

2 MH bulbs insn't enought for a 6' tank. You would need 3 for full coverage. Also 150's are pretty weak. I wouldn't go with anything less than 175w and even bettter yet would be 250's.
There are many LED lighting systems that work great for reef setups. Depending on your budget, lighting a 6' tank can run anywhere from about $500 to $2,000.

ok cause ive seen 2 reef tank ran by all compact fluorescent but didnt know if that was a good idea ok i will look into a mh system with 3 bulbs thanks

K, refers to color temperature. That has little to do with power. It's mostly for the look. If you like a crisp white light, go with a 12 or 14k. 20k would be more blue. Generally, the higher kelvin or "k" lamps are less potent than the lower, but it's not always the case.

Ok I made my lighting system myself from the hood to the bulb holders to reflectors I have 3 175w mh. Only two working I still need to buy a ballast for the third one I have 2 96 watt CPF and 4 55 watt CPF do u think that will be enough light for my 130g tank that is 21 inch high

What should be the kelvin on the hqi bulbs. I'm going to get all the compacts actinic I want best growth but with the purple blue color which I think the actinic will give me

The halides tend to drown out the PC light. I would go with something at least 14k. I forget who, and which lamp it was, but someone posted PAR results from a 175 watt lamp that outdid many 250 watters. Those lamps would be what I would use. I think maybe Larry (ccCapt)?

Another question what should be a good height off of your tank should be your lights cause I may have mine to heigh but want to make sure

Back
Top Bottom