Lighting

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

zoe

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Good Morning, Everybody!

I have a question about lighting...I recently purchased a relatively new system (70 gal bowfront, wet/dry, protein skimmer UV sterilizer, various accessories) It is about 1-2 years old. It was set up for a reef tank, and professionally maintained (supposedly).

My question is that I have an All-Glass 40w preheat and a blue actinic 03 F40 T12 BP bulb in the (ballast)? Is that enough to maintain a FOWLR tank?

Thank you...

EDIT, WOW THAT FIRST COLOR DID NOT SHOW UP ATALL.

Oh, I like this color. Ill see if it shows up any good.

Any rate. I dont quit know what a preheat bulb is but if all you plan on keeping is fish and live rock then you dont need any great amount of light. The only thing on the live rock that needs light is the coraline algae that grows on it. Depending on light intensity the color shade of the coraline will vary.

On a side note unless the UV bulb has been replaced in the last 9 months its effectivly useless at killing bactera. UV units need to have new bulbs very frequently to keep up the killing they are designed for.

Would love to see photos... :)

I think the 40w is probably the light that came w/the system to begin with. As far as pics go, I definately need to get a digital camera! All I have done w/ my tank is clean it up (work keeps *rudely* interrupting my playtime with my new toy :evil: ) The guy I bought the system from had alot of accessories-I still have a box of stuff to go through. One of the things I have is a brand new UV light! My 29 gal freshwater is up and running, with the inhabitants from my 10 gal (the fishies are so happy!) And my 10 gal is going to be my quarentine :eek: BTW-I love to read the how-to stuff-its very helpful-thanks for putting it up!

Back
Top Bottom