Lighting

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jaeroo

Aquarium Advice Activist
So, for my 20g tank I will be doing the Walstad method, which means I can't (nor do I want to) get LEDs for my tank. It will be planted and i need a total of 1.5watts per gallon. So, my question is, what bulbs/fixture am I looking for here? I need like T5 or something. I'm basically clueless on lighting. can someone give me a link to a product that you or others you know have had success from? I want one that is designed for fish tanks....One that looks nice, of course, and not too expensive:cool:

thanks for reading

So, for my 20g tank I will be doing the Walstad method, which means I can't (nor do I want to) get LEDs for my tank. It will be planted and i need a total of 1.5watts per gallon. So, my question is, what bulbs/fixture am I looking for here? I need like T5 or something. I'm basically clueless on lighting. can someone give me a link to a product that you or others you know have had success from? I want one that is designed for fish tanks....One that looks nice, of course, and not too expensive:cool:

thanks for reading

Just go to home depot and get a t-8 shop light, perfect for what you are wanting to do here. They are really cheap for a single or double bulb fixture and you can probably get your bulbs and fixture for under $20. Get a bulb with a color temperature between 6500k and 10000k

Iif anyone could give me a link to what you suggest, that would be awesome!

Well, it's not that I don't like LEDs. I have had them fail on me within a month of getting them in the past, but I like them overall. The method I'm using was created awhile before LEDs became super popular in this hobby, so not many people have tried LEDs with the method I will be doing. Lights are the most confusing part of this hobby for me, and I would rather play it safe than buy $$$$ LEDs that I don't necessarily need or I may get the wrong type of. This mess is the only thing holding me back from getting two of my tanks started and it's just super frustrating. I've waited almost a half year for this.

I'm not very familiar with Walstad tanks but usually when it comes to lighting you get what you pay for... Cheapie doesn't last long. They are cheaper LED that will last for thousands of hours without replacing bulbs like you would other lighting.

Caleb

I'm not very familiar with Walstad tanks but usually when it comes to lighting you get what you pay for... Cheapie doesn't last long. They are cheaper LED that will last for thousands of hours without replacing bulbs like you would other lighting.

Caleb

Technically a $20 t5ho shop fixture in the right hands can do some serious work! Leds are just way more fun.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

A shop fixture has 4 foot bulbs. Definitely too big for a 20 gallon tank.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Okay, well, I ended up ordering a finnex 24/7 and am wishing for the best! This light is thinner than my smartphone. You guys convinced me to continue into LED world and I'm kinda excited. Thanks for all the replies!!!

Just ordered / back ordered one myself. Hopefully won't take forever to get here. Selling like hot cakes...

Just ordered / back ordered one myself. Hopefully won't take forever to get here. Selling like hot cakes...

Haha I know! My brother ordered one earlier than me but the price has gone about $5 down. Hey, cheaper for me! hopefully it'll be here sometime soon. Where did you hear about them?

Ha! Mine cost about $5 more. I can't remember where I heard about them, but I'm glad I did. I almost bought a Current Pro that's about twice as expensive.

Ha! Mine cost about $5 more. I can't remember where I heard about them, but I'm glad I did. I almost bought a Current Pro that's about twice as expensive.

We already have two in our household and they look amazing on the tanks!

Well, we haven't had them long enough to see a difference with our plants' growth, but I think that is what they are made for. I also think you can adjust the PAR?

Well, we haven't had them long enough to see a difference with our plants' growth, but I think that is what they are made for. I also think you can adjust the PAR?

On the 24/7 you can adjust how much light you want to give them and how much of each color I believe. It can simulate daytime where as the photoperiod ends it will dim until it's off replicating sunset. That's what I've read about it.

Caleb

I have the Finnex Planted+ and I love it. Getting great growth with liquid CO2. Gonna get CO2 injection system for my next project. The Finnex Planted+ was easily the best purchase of my setup so far.

On the 24/7 you can adjust how much light you want to give them and how much of each color I believe. It can simulate daytime where as the photoperiod ends it will dim until it's off replicating sunset. That's what I've read about it.

Caleb

Yes it can do all of those things. It has and orange-red color for sunset (not sure for sunrise. I don't wake up that early :lol:) that fades into moonlight. very pretty. Super bright during the day as well.

Back
Top Bottom