Lights make noise?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tleyton

Aquarium Advice Activist
My light/good has made a buzzing noise since I got it, but is intermittently getting worse now. Do all lights/hoods buzz or just mine? It's a t8 fluorescent that came with the canopy. I'm assuming not great quality.

Are the power cords plugged in tightly to the light tube itself? When mine pull a bit loose, it makes a horrible wining noise.

Did you get it new or second-hand? It might just be old...

I bought it used. I'm sure it's old. I jut wasn't sure if it's normal to buzz or not because this is the only one I've ever had.

That's what I figured...ugh...guess I get to buy a new this weekend cuz it's driving my husband nuts!

They will start to buzz when the ballast are going bad. Do your lights flicker any? That is another sign of a bad ballast or light bulb about to go. If it is really old it would probably be cheaper to get another light than replace the ballast. Try changing the bulbs first. If that doesn't fix it than the ballast are the problem.

No, they don't really flicker. I'll probably just get a new one. Time for an upgrade anyway.

Back
Top Bottom