Lights out, fish go nuts!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Convict2161

Aquarium Advice Addict
Ok, I'm not a fan of moonlights, what I mean is I think they look nice and all BUT I can't get myself to use mine. A simple DIY auto parts store kit.

Anyway the question is.... And forgive me cause I know it's been asked 1,000,000,000,000x's

Benefit at all?

Also does this happen to anyone else? When my lights go off they go CRAZY!! It sounds like there jumping outta the tank almost!

So... Is it the sudden switch to darkness that has them in a fit or would moonlights ease that?

I've found if I turn on a nearby lamp - not shining directly in the tank - before I turn off the tank lights, the fish in my 20 gallon don't startle as easily. Same drill for turning on. For my tank in the kitchen, I turn on the overhead first. Nothing startles my goldfish, so I don't worry about that tank.

I have moonlights on the two nanos. *Hate* the way they look, so I never use them.

I've found if I turn on a nearby lamp - not shining directly in the tank - before I turn off the tank lights, the fish in my 20 gallon don't startle as easily. Same drill for turning on. For my tank in the kitchen, I turn on the overhead first. Nothing startles my goldfish, so I don't worry about that tank.

I have moonlights on the two nanos. *Hate* the way they look, so I never use them.

Thanks for your input Sharpchick :)

Personally I don't believe there is any effect either way. I think moonlights on do the same thing as just darkness. I have a community tank with moonlights and wether they are on or off the fish do the same things

I usually just dim my basement lights enough that I can just see them a little bit and they seem to not be startled at all.

Personally I don't believe there is any effect either way. I think moonlights on do the same thing as just darkness. I have a community tank with moonlights and wether they are on or off the fish do the same things

Do you think "settle in" and sleep with moonlights on?

My fish act like i just dropped a electic toaster in the water when I turn mine on.

Agree w hukit. Can't use mine. They sprint all around the tank and look stressed. As much as I like look I feel they don't.

Mine do. The second the lights turn off its a race for their caves. While the lights are on majority of the tank will be over 12" from the sand, lights go off and within seconds they are under 4" from the sand.

I dont use moonlights but since my husband works 4am shift n has to get up he needs to see without waking me uo we leave a light on in our laundry room it gives off just enough light that its not pitch black and my fish seem fine no startled ones still going about their normal routines..

I dont use moonlights but since my husband works 4am shift n has to get up he needs to see without waking me uo we leave a light on in our laundry room it gives off just enough light that its not pitch black and my fish seem fine no startled ones still going about their normal routines..

That's exactly what I do. I leave lamp on couple feet from tank. I just got the double bright LEDs this week that have the blue moon light and try seem to react a lot less to that blue than a straight 48 inch blue actinic I had. Waaaaaaay less startled when I switch it. Although I can't leave it on. Heart says that they like the lamp better

I've never seen my fish get active or jumpy when the lights go out. As far as moonlights, I'm convinced they ignore them completely or are just unaware they exist.

Across all my tanks, only the one with some community fish, do I even see the "shock factor" when I turn the lights on. The others just drift about slowly without a care in the world.

In both my community, and cichlid tanks they get very active when I switch to the moon light, but I think it's because they know when the lights go out, food follows.

That's funny cuz when y'all turn off your lights they all go crazy!! But when I turn off my lights they go right to sleep!! It's pretty cute actually! Lol <3

Tia

Back
Top Bottom