Lime green algae

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Trusty_one

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have this lime green algae crap growing on most of my rocks I have a 33 gallon tank. I have some rocks that I added a week later that are not growing much of anything. This algae cover my main section of rock and most of the floor. It started brown and turned lime green after adding 5 snails and 5 hermit crabs then turn really lime when added 5 chromis and 1 six line wrasse. The local pet shop guy says this is normal and good. I have a hard time believing him. My tree coral I added last week looks really bad. The tree coral I added a couple of days ago looks good. Do I need a water change. Am I leaving the light on too much. I was told they should be off for at least 8 hours for the coral. I leave them off for nine. Any advice will be appreciated. I have included 2 photos of the algae.

Attachments

• image-3624136246.jpg
    image-3624136246.jpg
    64.7 KB · Views: 236
  • image-3085750944.jpg
    image-3085750944.jpg
    66.9 KB · Views: 155
It looks like it's also on the sandbed. Does it come off in sheets if you scoop it out?
Can you get a clear photo using the Macro feature on your camera.

You should start with the "10 Step Plan for Nuisance Algae Control"

Normally lights should mimic the daylight of the equatorial waters where our livestock comes from. That's about a 12 hour long photo period including dusk and dawn.

Yeah it comes off in sheets it grows and grows then a big chunk will float up to the top, sand and everything it is starting to peel up from the live rock now I have started to shake sand off a little and remove what chunks float up. If this is simply a nuisance algae I am almost ok with it since right now it is working as a bio filter, since I do not have any other plants in it yet. From my research I have decided it is not bubble algae. From what I have read about that it doesn't float and you need a pick axe to remove it. This stuff just kinda peels off. I am a newbie and will accept any advice. As for the light I am thinking about some 5mm LEDs that I found that run in the 450-460nm range and wiring them up for nighttime viewing part of the reason have my light on so long it only has one cord and one setting all on or nothing.

I don't know if these photos will be better than before. My phone takes better photos of the tank but my iPad doesn't like my htc.

Attachments

• image-1078161697.jpg
    image-1078161697.jpg
    64.1 KB · Views: 131
  • image-3400357827.jpg
    image-3400357827.jpg
    65.6 KB · Views: 138
Back
Top Bottom