Little white worms!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jeff6.0

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi guys,

I'm doing a fishless in my tank. The only thing in my tank right now is store bought drift wood to lower my PH to 7.4. I'm seeing signs that I'm setting up a good bio filter and things have been going along fine... until today. I just Noticed that there's some thing living in my tank and I'm a little concerned. I have 1/4" inch long thin white worms swimming around in the tank. :eek:

Anybody know what these things might be?

What should I do?

I did not but now I wish I had. These thing have to have come from the drift wood or my well water.

Jeff6.0 said:
I did not but now I wish I had. These thing have to have come from the drift wood or my well water.

Where did the DW come from? Id do 100% wc and boil it. Or maybe they could be fish food! Lol.

Not much tannins now. It's been in the tank for a month.
How long should I boil it? I have three large pieces.

Jeff6.0 said:
Not much tannins now. It's been in the tank for a month.
How long should I boil it? I have three large pieces.

Well since its almost done leaking id say 30 mins to kill worms and other eggs left. Or if more tannins start leaking once boiling starts even longer until no more. Even pouring that water out and start it again to see if you get more.

Thanks!

What a pain in the butt. It's going to be tough to find a kettle the right size. I'll have to do it when the wife's not looking.

Jeff6.0 said:
Thanks!

What a pain in the butt. It's going to be tough to find a kettle the right size. I'll have to do it when the wife's not looking.

No problem. That can be a problem if they're large

Boiling now.

I had to cut some of the pieces to fit in the pot but I can dowel them back together I guess.

I hope the 100%WC will get rid of my little friends. I want fish not worms.

Jeff6.0 said:
Boiling now.

I had to cut some of the pieces to fit in the pot but I can dowel them back together I guess.

I hope the 100%WC will get rid of my little friends. I want fish not worms.

Ok cool. U coulda boiled half then flipped it over and boiled the other half

Yep, cuting and flipping seems to be the winning strategy.
It's just taking a little longer. That's okay. Now I have more drift wood pieces to work with. If I don't like any new arangment I can always put the pieces back together.

I was going to edit my first post but I figure out how to do it on here...

Anyway, I found out what the worms I have are.
img_1806181_0_05b83e8e33fa5855384abd9d94b86ea3.png

The worm is called Planaria and I have them because I used too much seeding material while cycling my tank. The worms do not harm fish they are there because I have detritus in my gravel. I have now completed the cycling of my tank. I just need to clean my gravel before I can add fish.

More in for here...
Aquarium FD - Planaria Small Hair like White Worms - Disease Identification, Diagnosis & Treatment

Back
Top Bottom