Live food: maggots?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rezende

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have some plants at home (not aquarium) and especially in this season it's common to find tiny insect larvae under the humid dead leaves on the ground.

These white tiny larvae look ... delicious... for a Timon and Pumbaa, or maybe for fishes, but I never know whether they are safe enough for a fish tank.

Well, I have seen some posts about feeding maggots to fishes...
(i.e. Maggots For Aquarium Fish - Using Maggots to Feed Aquarium Fish)

... but I'm still reluctant to do it. :confused:
So, is it safe to feed my fishes with maggots? Does anyone do it? Any bad experience?

(The maggots are there, for free, just eating and waiting to annoy me when they grow up. Using them would be like killing to birds with a one stone :angel:)

Sounds risky for a couple reasons...
1) if they have been exposed to any pesticides, herbicides or other chemicals, then you'll be feeding that to your fish.
2) without knowing what kind of larvae it is its hard to say what could happen. Some insect larvae have sharp little teeth that could be used to eat their way out of the fish (I suppose beheading them would solve that issue though).

These are unlikely scenarios, but why risk it when fish food is cheap.

1) if they have been exposed to any pesticides, herbicides or other chemicals, then you'll be feeding that to your fish.
2) without knowing what kind of larvae it is its hard to say what could happen. Some insect larvae have sharp little teeth that could be used to eat their way out of the fish (I suppose beheading them would solve that issue though).

These are unlikely scenarios, but why risk it when fish food is cheap.

1) I have thought about it. Even if I don't use any pesticide, herbicide etc, it could happen that this ground already came with something...
2) Haven't thought about it at all!! :blink:

Agree, fish food is cheap :) I asked because it doesn't happen so often to have fresh live food at home. Anyway, you are right, better not to risk!

Back
Top Bottom