live rock only filtration?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

coffeetwitch

Aquarium Advice Addict
ive got a 125 gallon tank that im changing over to sw. can i just filter with the lr and power heads until i get a sump in place? or should i use one of my canister filters?

thanks all.

I think if you point the powerhead at the rock you can. But if you have to canister laying around i would use it.

I know how that is. On my current tank I have a cascade 1500 can. Got ride off all floss and just put lr pieces and ceramic rings. It's now just a matter of unhooking it and rinsing the baskets in water taken out for a pwc. Very quick and easy now.

I have found that a canister filter is only useful for removing large particles or cloudiness.

so one vote so use the canister filter and one for not really needed. anyone else care to throw in an opinion?

In saltwater the LR takes care of the filtration and carbon shouldn't be used in a reef because it removes things the coral uses. At least in my opinion.

Live rock with PH`s to push the water around will work fine till you get your sump or fuge. No need for a canister.

I have 2 canisters running on my system, with live rock rubble in one of the compartments, filter floss, carbon and clearmax. My other canister has just a sponge in it as I use it to pump the water through my UV. I understand why people are against canisters but I've had no problems with mine and very good water params

I managed to obtain 0 nitrates while using one on my 55g. It is possible in my opinion to run a successful tank with one.

hey everyone thank you for your replies. sweetie pie is running lr and a canister filter only on her tank now and everything is doing very well. yeah still dont have a sump for it. or hob protein skimmer.

i was mainly wondering if i could get away with out running anything but the lr until i get a sump for our, now empty, 125 gallon

Back
Top Bottom