live rock

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

heightsboy 13

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
My water is good, lighting is also good. I have happy fish, but I don't know why my live rock is dying. What can I do to stop this? I would like to add coral at some point.

Why is your rock dying what could you mean by this? Never new rock could die. Changing color from when you bought it?

live rock doesn't really die, but the coralline algae can die. coraline thrives on calcium magnesium iodine and strontium and if those are not in balance the coralline algae can eventually fade. anotehr thing is that some sea urchins like to eat coralline algae, so it could be scraping it all of the rocks if you do have one

I don't have any urchins yet, but the rock is still bleaching out.

They were a reddish dark brown. They are a little lighter than they look in the pic.

ForumRunner_20120216_183433.jpg

Nothing is wrong with that rock. Live rock is live because of the bacteria on it and in it, which is not visible to the naked eye.
the colorful stuff on the outside will come and go, according to lighting and water parameters. It does not effect the efficiency of the rock.

Back
Top Bottom