live sand etc

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mrsfuller2572

Aquarium Advice Activist
I am setting up our 55g to begin cycling. My daughter brought me some dry sand from the beach where she was living. It has sat in an airtight closed bucket for two months. I had intended on using this as a base of about 2", then adding 2" (40lbs.) of live sand on top of it. I opened the buckets today and the sand is grey, appears clean, and has no odor (like dead fish) or anything.
Should I rinse this with plain water before putting it in, I assume?
Thanks.
Newby, inexperienced, but ready to go,
Jeri

I would be very hesitant to use beach sand. It may have any number of pollutants in it that you are unaware of.

I agree that the sand will contain pollutants that you dont want in your tank. Cheaper is not always better.

Yes! listen to them. I new to the hobby and dont know much, but my friend used beach sand thinking he was cool and omg. he could not get his tank to turn any other color then green, he did manage to find a nice wedding ring though :lol:

THANKS!!!!
Prior to reading these replies, I DID wash and wash and sift, and wash the sand some more.....I couldn't agree with you all more!
Purchased LS from the LFS. :eek:)

Mrsfuller2572 said:
Purchased LS from the LFS. :eek:)
Not to scare you but sometimes buying ls from the lfs is even more dangerous then using beach sand.

Not all lfs are responsible in keeping fish out of their tanks they sell ls from and often copper (which you don’t want in sand) will get into their displays if they medicate and could possibly contaminate your tank.

If the ls you bought came from a fishless tank you probably are fine. If you bought bagged sand it is not “live” but is fine.

Back
Top Bottom