live sand

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jason M

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have a tank that's been running.g for about 2 months now and am wondering if I could go and buy a pound or so of live sand from my lfs from one of their established tanks. Will it cause another cycle and hurt my inverts and fish

That shouldn't effect anything go for it. It will seed your sand bed with whatever critters they have in their sand bed

If you've been running for 2 months already, your sand is already "live". The only difference will be that the sand from the LFS will have more organisms etc.

Its not a good idea. you will be stirring all that crap up and putting it in your tank. It could cause a spike in levels. I would just get dry sand and rinse it well before you add it.

Hinds04 said:
Its not a good idea. you will be stirring all that crap up and putting it in your tank. It could cause a spike in levels. I would just get dry sand and rinse it well before you add it.

If the sand stays wet it shouldn't have any die off don't think would cause any spike. Would it? Only a lbs of sand I think you could get it into your tank a cup at a time and slowly pour out at bottom of tank. It will cloud the tank a bit. There could be lots of beneficial critters added to tank that he normally wouldn't have. Do the risks out weigh the rewards?

If the sand stays wet it shouldn't have any die off don't think would cause any spike. Would it? Only a lbs of sand I think you could get it into your tank a cup at a time and slowly pour out at bottom of tank. It will cloud the tank a bit. There could be lots of beneficial critters added to tank that he normally wouldn't have. Do the risks out weigh the rewards?

Its not bacteria die off that would cause the spike.... Sand is full of rotting poop, leftover food, etc. It has been said a million times on the forums do not stir up your sand bed because because you are releasing all of this into the tank. This is why when you move a tank you should start with fresh sand. You have the benefitial critters in your tank already. The tank your getting sand from was started the same way yours was. Its just not a good idea. The risks far outweigh the rewards and I just don't see the point, you wont be adding anything that you dont already have.

Well I'm convinced. Sounds like a good argument. Sorry if I gave bad advice. When I moved my tank 2 years ago I read it was ok to take top inch or 2 of your sandbed to put in with new sand to seed new sandbed. I had at least 5 lbs of sand that I put on top of my new sand when I moved homes. I didn't see any ill effects. Although my tank did just have rock and sand in it at the time. All fish and coral were in temp tank at the time.

I added the sand before I read any of ur arguments. I have copepods galore in my tank now crawling on glass and no spike in levels. My gold head sleeper goby seems very happy now and as well as the nassurius snail among other sand sifters. I have some worms crawling in the sand I can see thru the glass. I'm glad I did it.

Back
Top Bottom