Live sand?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sw3ll3r3

Aquarium Advice Regular
Okay so I'm ordering live sand online. But the only thing I'm concerned about is how long it can sit in the bag before it goes "bad" or is that possible. It won't be added till this Saturday

They usually have a shelf life of a few months according to the bag anyways. Is this caribsea aragonite live sand?

Saturaday will be fine.

AquaRick said:
They usually have a shelf life of a few months according to the bag anyways. Is this caribsea aragonite live sand?

Saturaday will be fine.

No its ocean direct live sand.

Okay. Also, all I have to do to prepare my tank for fish is adding my salt mix and Letting it cycle the mix for a week or two correct?

I don't think either are terribly difficult. I prefer the fishless method that uses ammonia. Easy enough to get at Ace hardware.

I don't think either are terribly difficult. I prefer the fishless method that uses ammonia. Easy enough to get at Ace hardware.

But the other way all I need is a few shrimp and test kit, correct?

NicoleIsStoked said:
Either way it will be at least a month before you can add fish.

Okay thank you, I'm going to do the shrimp method.

The ammonia method smells A LOT better. Lol. I did one tank with shrimp, one with ammonia. I won't be doing shrimp again. :)

Beengirl said:
The ammonia method smells A LOT better. Lol. I did one tank with shrimp, one with ammonia. I won't be doing shrimp again. :)

Haha oh well that kind of changes my mind

sw3ll3r3 said:
Haha oh well that kind of changes my mind

If you do ammonia dosing, make sure it doesn't have surfactants in it. If you shake the bottle, there should be NO bubbles. If there's bubbles, don't use it. Usually ACE hardware will have it, but none of my other hardware stores had the right kind. It's not that complicated, just put in a little bit at a time until you get up to 4ppm at least. Put a little in, let it mix and test. If not high enough, add little more and test again, etc. if you go over 4, that's fine- it'll just take a little longer to come down.

There is a calculator for dosing ammonia. Here is the link Calculator
I did one tank(fw) with ammonia and my sw with the shrimp. I liked the ammonia better!

RedNeck said:
There is a calculator for dosing ammonia. Here is the link Calculator
I did one tank(fw) with ammonia and my sw with the shrimp. I liked the ammonia better!

So basically you add enough ammonia to get a 4ppm, then you wait till it drops then add more, until nitrates are created then once they are created you add more ammonia until you create nitrites then you drop the ammonia and nitrate to zero?

In a nut shell....add to 4ppm...and keep it there untill you see nitTRITE. you keep adding and eventually you will see niTRATE. After the trites start to 0 dose ammonia back up to 4ppm. When your tank consumes the ammonia to trites to trates in 24hrs and ammonia and trites are 0 you are cycled(y)

Sounds simple enough thanks guys! Oh one more thing live rock is okay to be added during or before cycle correct?

sw3ll3r3 said:
Sounds simple enough thanks guys! Oh one more thing live rock is okay to be added during or before cycle correct?

Add all your live rock before the cycle. The bacteria will grow on the rock. You can add a little live rock after the cycle, but if you add too much at once, it could cause a mini cycle. After the cycle, add LR one piece at a time or add base rock.

Back
Top Bottom