Livestock advice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LynnCeeBee

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I posted this question before, but I think it got lost in another thread.....

Anyway, I'm back, and nearly fully recovered from surgery, so I've been working on the 125g tank which I bought, second-hand, approximately six weeks ago. I've added more LR to it, and that LR now totals ~140lbs. Is that enough? I also added ~30lbs of CC; I tried to switch it all over to LS, but that was done during my recovery period, and (for all sorts of comical and tragic reasons) it just didn't happen. I've resigned myself to frequent vacuuming of the substrate, but don't mind that at all. The new LR was added yesterday, and I took readings today: pH 8.3/sg 1.022/temp 79/NH3 0/NO2 0/NO3 20

I plan to let it run for awhile before I add any livestock and check readings again in a week or so. I'm going on vacation on Monday, so the wait will be painless!

I think I have a list of the fish I want for the aquarium, but would welcome any comments or suggestions on the list. Also, how long should the time period be between adding fish? (I have a QT set up as well) And, in what order should these fish be put into the tank? Please note: I am a patient person, and would not fuss even if it should take a year to add these fish! Here's my list:

5 green chromis (always loved the look of a school of fish)
1 coral beauty
1 yellow tang
2 fridman's dottybacks
1 lawnmower blenny (only fish in the tank now)

Thanks, everyone!

I'm glad you remembered us and that your surgery went well.
Personally, I added thre of the chromis (they say they like odd number) and two of them jumped within the first 3 months. I only have one noe and he is fine. I have been looking at Kaudern's Cardinal http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_Display.cfm?pCatId=82 for a schooling fish. I don't have experience with them, so you may want to wait for others to chime in.
The coral beauty may pick on corals, if you are thinking of keeping them.
I just bought a Lamarck's Angelfish http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_Display.cfm?pCatId=413 the pic on LA doesn't do it justice, but they are pretty neat.
The Blenny will probably starve, since they tend to eat hair algea and once their food source is gone, they starve. The dottys should be ok, they will chase smaller fish.

Your list should be OK. As Scott said the CB will maybe nip at corals so if you plan on getting corals you might want to reconsider. Hopefully you can get your lawnmower to eat prepared foods. I pretty much like your list.

I wasn't planning to get corals.......but then again, I also wasn't planning to get a 125g either! It seems this hobby leads you deeper and deeper (haha) into areas you--at first--don't expect. What a hook!

With that said, I will definitely take the Lamarck's Angelfish and the K. Cardinal into consideration, but I was really drawn to the CB's coloring. Is there another fish with that coloring (or similar) that will fit in with this community?

Thanks! .....what a great board!

That nitrate is going to remain a constant battle, and 20ppm is the maximum level recommended - especially in a reef tank I believe.

Too bad you can't switch the CC out before you get too many fish stocked up. I think you'll wish you had down the road.

I'd recommend adding fish every 3-4 weeks after they've been quarantined for that period.

I removed the CC out of my tank and even had sand in it. I did it in sections, over a 4 week period. I used a plastic strainer. Most of your CC should be on the top of the sand, so shouldn't be too hard to get out.

Back
Top Bottom